CAD drawings

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bicmudpuppy, May 17, 2006.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, a little help. I feel almost like a stranger here. I just don't have time to keep up, but .....On to my current problem.

I need to provide an Auto CAD compatible As-built for a project completed a while back. This was included in the contract submitals as a requirement, but somebody missed it and we are obligated to the CAD drawing. I can do it (I think, haven't done any CAD work for a while, but I've done it before). Suggestions on an easy on the wallet solution? Is there a trial version of a good program to get this done with? I'm not even 100% sure I have a current tiff of the site plan.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Bryan

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think you want some sort of vector image file, like a TIFF or PDF, if you want to have an easy conversion to AutoCAD. You can google "file conversion" and the formats you have/want and find various solutions. Some of them will have free trial versions.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen free viewers out there but don't think I've run across a free evaluation copy. Most I've seen are not working copies rather viewers where you can see what their product is capable of doing.

4. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

CAdopia had a free version of Intellicad a few years ago....they no longer offer it....but send me an email and i'll send you a copy i still have.

grass.cake@gmail.com

5. PurpHaze

Dang... just thought of something. The site plan is always the hardest and most time-consuming part of the design process. After that's done the rest of the system design is a snap compared to it.:dizzy:

Different programs can be utilized in different manners of transcribing plans into their format including using a digitizer. However, I'm from the old school and manually build a site plan from blueprints or measurements I've taken myself.

Now... if you had an Autocad copy of the site plan and wanted to send it my way I could convert it to my RainCAD (Design CAD based program) do anything to it you wanted and then export the completed file in AutoCAD DXF format. I was able to do this for a scaled site plan of my brother's mini ranch up Lodi way as he needed it in AutoCAD format for the county in order to secure a septic system extension project. :)

I can also send AutoCAD or Design CAD format files anywhere where anyone who downloaded them could pull them up on a free viewer and print them out themselves. Problem is that you'd need a large format printer to do this or take the file to a copy/blueprint company (this is what my brother did up there) where they'll print them out blueprint size for a fee.

6. PurpHaze

That's the way to go. It'll put his finished product into AutoCAD DWG format.

7. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

It will save files in Autocad format(DWG)...albeit older versions of Autocad

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

RainCad has a free trial version If I remember right.

9. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Free CAD program, at least, the last I knew it was. Go to Solidworks.com, and them onto finding the program DWGeditor (www.dwgseries.com) and you can get a 30 day trial. It will read, export, use it to edit and Autocad drawing, pretty much any version.
    I've used it a little, and it seems like it can do most anything you need.:)

10. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Who do you buy your parts from? Most of the larger distributors will do CAD drawings for you. Some for free if your buying the parts from them and or a small charge.