1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cad program for as builts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm doing a couple as builts over the weekend, and I'm using a free program called CadStd that is pretty lacking in features.

Since we only do a few of these a year, I'm not going to drop a grand for raincad.

Does anyone know of any free programs that can export autocad files (or even better, PDF's?)

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

PDF995 is a PDF "printer" driver. It's free (with a nag screen). You just open the File/Print and then change the "printer" to the pdf995 instead of your default printer and it will convert any file to PDF. Then save the PDF file (when the save screen comes up) and you can send it anywhere you want or print it out. Looks exactly the same as your cad file. It doesn't affect your original file at all.

http://www.pdf995.com/

Here's a CAD file I did up on our 1/2" swing joints. It's been converted to PDF.

Attached Files:

3. Dirty Water

Converting to PDF isn't the big issue, its the actual design software I'd like.

I just looked at your CAD, aren't you the artsy type, makes my as-built look pretty bad :)

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

How about googles sketch up?

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you can buy autocad LT for pretty cheap. I have seen it in staples for less than $200.00.
    It will do way more than you ever wanted. I use full autocad 2004 for all my desigh work. It is a great estimating tool also.

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out ebay every now and then, I got my raincad for less then 250 and it was less then a year old.

7. PurpHaze

What version did you get? I know the newer versions of RainCAD have machine codes and security codes built in so you have to go through Software Republic to register and get the codes in order for it to work. The unique thing is that if you need support from them they already know what machine it's running on, what version, whether it's the solo program or the suite that also includes the landscaping program and Irricalc, etc. Their service is superior and you can ask them anything about the programs.

8. PurpHaze

Sorry Jon... Thought you already had a freebee mini-CAD program and were just looking to convert those designs to PDF.

That's just one of about thirty "installation detail" drawings that go with the written specification pages. Some people can't read English so we're hoping pictures will be more their comprehension level. :)

My designs sometimes get carried away too. I always show buildings and hardscaped areas and putting the final hatching into these things really dresses up a design drawing.:laugh:

9. Dirty Water

I do but its horrible.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

look at staples for autocad LT.

it does not have all the 3-D modeling that full autocad has, but i have NEVER used the 3-d part of mine.