caffeine pills?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, Jul 11, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

anyone ever tried caffeine pills to give them the energy to work throughout the whole day virtually non-stop?haven't tried this myself,might be good though.....might be bad too!

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

What goes up...............must come down. Better to stay all natural then to modify your system with stimulants. Deal with it till it cools down.

3. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

This was as much of a suggestion as a question.I agree homer, messing with your body can't be good for it,but if you've got 10 hours of work in the blistering hot sun on a thursday because rain has got you backed up,you may have no choice.anyway,thanks for the input.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Not to be a hypocrit(sp) I have tried them...........last year. All they did was raise my already elevated heart rate, made me sweat more than I already was, and gave me a headache,,,,,,,,that already hurt!

I don't think that was too healthy for an old fart like myself, might be OK as a stimulant to keep you alert studying but not the type work we do.

We're all in the same boat as far as rain and getting behind.............ain't worth killing yourself over. Your competition is also behind so not much chance of them taking something from you.

Chill out, stay calm, take care of your self.................somebody loves you!:rolleyes:

5. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

Andrew, you should not even be thinking that way. You are only 13 right? You should have more energy than anyone on here.
    Any time you alter your bodies natural metabolism, you run the risk of something bad happening. You get out there all perked-up on straight caffeine and will not know when to take a break and just keep pushing. I have heard of 13 year olds having heart-attacks. If you want more energy for the next day, get off the computer earlier and go to bed. Let your body store its own energy. I'm not coming down on you Andrew, just would hate for anyone to depend on a chemical to get them through the day.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Caffeine pills will definately give you a bounce up, the down side is that they will do you no good for the work we do.

Caffeine is a stimulant and in low dosages it is fine. Concentrated doses, or high doses will accomplish a few things for you. Increased heart rate, increased vasoconstriction, elevated blood pressure, increased kidney function to name a few.

This translates to alot of stuff going on in your body that isn't conducive to working out in the heat. Headache, nervousness and a lot of urinary output isn't very productive out in the field.

Caffeine is a stimulant and in greater quantities is a diuretic. You don't need to be dehydrated in any type of weather especially the summer.

Drinks such as Mountain dew and Surge are full of caffeine and sugar. The reason these are bad is that the caffeine gives you a bounce and makes you pee and the high sugar content makes you thirstier by using your bodys water to try and dilute it.
    What will you do when you are thirsty? Drink more.

Not preaching, just talking from knowledge and experience.

Good Luck

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

glad you pointed out the age ,mow ed. that stuff can lead to
    a lot more dangerouse stuff later andrews. i got to admire any 13
    yr old working,but hope youll be careful.like homer said the higher you go the further down you go.later now

8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

While in high school me and my gang of wired thugs used "Jet awake". All it did was make you hyper as you sat idle learning state run propaganda.

I would also advise against it Andrew. Have a Dew in the morning and leave it at that, get more sleep and you will be fine.

9. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

OK... Here's what I have to say about you question.

I tried the caffeine pills when I did this kind of work bak in the mid 80's. I used No-Doz. They provided no benefit what so ever.

What have I learned over the years that may answer your question? The only way to have the energy to go all day at a high rate is to eat right, get enough sleep, drink lot's of water and EXERCISE.

I know that pushing a mower all day is good exercise, but it is not enough. Before you go out each day try running around the block. The next week, run 2 laps. So on and so forth. You will find it whips your butt the first week or so, but your body will adjust and you will be able to work harder, faster and longer before summer is out. Weights are good also, but I would recommend light weights with lots of repetitions. (There have been studies about teenagers lifting to heavy and the muscles get so strong they won't allow the bones to grow completely. Basically, it may "stunt you growth" to a degree.)

Give it a try for a month and see what happens.

Mark

10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you are an interstate truck driver,you should stay away from the caffeine pills or "yippee beans" as they are known here.
    One of the long term effects of caffeine in high doses is weight loss,as caffeine is an appetite suppressant.(sic).
    You will be sweating enough weight off with working,so if you
    start popping pills you will look like Ally Macbeal. :blob3: