Cages on trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Edgewater, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you that have expanded metal cages on the front of your trailers, what do you put in them.

I was going to build one at the same time as all of my other racks, but then thought what would I put in it. I mow only (with this crew) trimmers and blowers have thier place, gas has a bin, what is the cage for?

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We put two 5 gallon gas cans and three 2.5 gallon gas cans and a air tank. Ours is 1ft by 1ft by 7 ft.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I also put two 5 gallon gas cans and two 2.5 gallon mixed gas cans. Along with those I keep 2 tarps, a 3 gallon back pack sprayer and a gallon of concentrate weed killer.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I know this is off subject some but I was gonna put a cage on my trailer. But I got to thinking my gas cans were gonna be in the rain and everything else was gonna get wet also. So I put my camper shell back on my truck, keeps the stuff dry and kinda out of site to the honest thief any way and if a rain shower comes up I have room for my trimmers in there to keep them dry also

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Anything you want!:D

Personally, I would want a solid cage, not expanded metal. Just to keep everything dry and out of sight. Plus you could put smaller things in it.
    Tool box, air tank, spool of trimmer line, hand pruners, folding saw, loppers, bungees, ratchet straps, come along, wheel chocks, first aid kit, oil, gloves, grease gun, measuring wheel, tire repair kit, tarps, rags, and the list goes on and on.............

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is used for the backpack blowers, chainsaw, small hedgesaw, and water cooler. The top shelf holds two pushmowers (when used), - a bagger and a discharge. They are strapped down with bungies. Sorry for the quality of the pic... I messed it up when trying to post it. Anyway, this year, I'm turning this around to face the front, and putting a steel fold down door on it. This door will also act as a shelf to work on things, as well as allow me easier access to the stuff.

im001020.jpg

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Runner,
    does stuff bounce around a lot in the cage?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, not at all. I DO run bungies on each side that go down toward the center at about a 45. This is just for security of the backpacks. The mesh is welded on the bottom of the square tubing (which also has a piece of tubing going up the center for bracing and support to weld the mesh onto), so the tubing sticks up a bit from the shelf helping hold the stuff in. I also have rubber mat (mudflap material) on the bottom for the stuff to ride on. It's generally a smooth ride, there on the front of the trailer.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here's another pic.

im001016.jpg

10. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

we put gas cans,spare blades,tires,orange cones,extra battery,tarps and we also mounted brake lights at top of cage for those idiots behind us that cant see the regular light...