calcinated lime

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by treegal1, Oct 2, 2008.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

does any one use calcinated lime and what does it cost in your area?????

2. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

We use calcium carbonate 'in our area referred as Barn Lime' which is a little dusty but the cost is about 2.50/bag laid in to our office in semi quantities only.

3. treegal1

this is almost pure Calcium carbonate, with some other impurity's then??? the guy I have been talking to said its the same a quik lime.

any who some one just gave me 3000 tons of it and I wondered if it had any value???

4. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

Tree we have calcitic lime here, is this the same? I think it's $10-15/50lbs if you can find it.Aren't your soils calcium rich? In the right market, like up here, it's worth alot. Is it powder or pellet? I'm talking pellet.

5. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Quick lime is Calcium Oxide (CaO) and should be used with extreme care on soil. Quick lime will react quickly with water and form a calcium hydrate. However, if sufficient water isn't available, quick lime pulls water from plants, bacteria, fungi and other living organisms, which can lead to plant death.

Quick lime will also react with manures and nitrogen fertilizers, releasing the nitrogen as a gas before it can be absorbed by the roots.

6. treegal1

it has ample water, I will find out more about it in the morning, it was a valuable commodity for citrus, then the citrus left and this guy no longer has a way to get rid of his waste stream. he said it went like this.
    CaCO3 → CaO + CO2
    CaO + H2O → Ca(OH)2
    Ca(OH)2 + CO2 → CaCO3 + H2O

but that it had some (like less than 1%)
    CaSO4ยท2H2O

7. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

Dido to green marks comment. I know some one who was using a form a quick lime in a hydro seed mix. well come to find out it created a crust on the surface of the soil. It threw the Ca/Mg ratio and the pH out of whack. I'd have to dig it out to give specifics but I posted them on here before. It formed a 1/4 inch crust on soild surface and basically choked out the guys bermuda.

8. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

if only it could selectively kill Bermuda....

9. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I've gotten calcitic lime from Lesco for about $5/ 50lbs.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i use it up here
    if u can make pellets out of it you will have something
    maby i could go to liquid?