1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Calcitic Lime

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Keegan, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Where can I buy calcitic lime? I went to my local Lesco dealer who didn't know what I meant.
  2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

lowes, home depot, most anywhere that sell lime. Some people call is Hi-Cal or calcium lime.
  3. If your local lesco dealer doesn't know what it is, it say's alot about his education and background! That would be the last time I visited that dealer as long as he work their!
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Tim, I can do one better than that. Yesterday I bought some calcitic pellitized lime from a fertilizer dealer who had never heard of Dolomitic lime. Dolomitic lime is the norm in my area and what everybody else sells and this dealer has never heard of it?????
  5. jdminnc

jdminnc LawnSite Member

Remember, Hi cal lime doesnt necessarily mean you get more calcium. This is a big movement in lawn care industry. There are still insulubility properties with dolomite as well as calcitic. Both require a release period, could be up to a year or more.:usflag:

6. jdminnc

jdminnc LawnSite Member

Mark Twain said: When I was 16, I thought my father was the dumbest person on earth. When I was 26 I realized he was right about everything. My he sure did get smart in 10 years!
  7. more calcium in calicitic lime than dolomitic lime
  8. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I usually look at calcitic lime as having less magnesium than dolomitic has, they both have a good amount of calcium.
  9. true, but I believe calicitic lime is 30% ca, while dolomitic is 20% ca
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

The dolomite I buy is 21% calcium and 17% magnesium. I believe the calcicitc was 28% calcium. A lot depends on the source the material is mined at. I think Dolomite has to have at least 6%-7% magnesium to be called dolomite. Not 100% sure on that tho.