1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

calculate mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DND Outdoor, Oct 2, 2004.

1. DND Outdoor

DND Outdoor LawnSite Member

Could someone refresh me on figuring yards need based on square footage.

Example if I have an area of 500 sft do I divide by 9 or 27 and how do you account for depth, say I wanted 3 inches instead of 2? Basic I know but I am drawing blank
  2. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

3. DND Outdoor

thanks very much that is exactly what i was looking for except I want the actual formula's so I can have in the field with me
  4. DND Outdoor

An example is like with concrete, if I measure sqft and divide by 80 I get cubic yards of crete needed based on a 4" base. I guess I could double the dividing number to 160 and I would get my yards needed for a 2 inch base. I am trying to simplify the calculations so I don't have to depend on my computer for everything. I think I am getting slower and I get older :dizzy:
  5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the maintenance forum, click on the "STICKY" at the top that has the "calculating mulch" thread. It's all there.

6. DND Outdoor

I am not finding maintenance forum or "sticky"??
  7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

8. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Use this formula:

feet in length X feet in width / 9 / 36 X number of inches desired = total cubic yards needed.

There you have it.
  9. Geezer

Geezer LawnSite Member

(Square Footage) X (Depth) divided by 27 will give you cubic yards

(.167) = 2 inch depth
    (.25) = 3 inch depth
    (.33) = 4 inch depth