Calculating square feet??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Mar 26, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

A problem I have when calculating lawns is converting "inches" over to "decimal points" on the calculator. I am sure there are measuring wheels that might do this, but mine does not. I know that 10'6" would be converted to 10.5 on the calculator, but how would you convert say......10'10" on the calculator. I have a TI-83 graphing calculator and I almost bet there is a feature on there to do this, but I have not looked yet and was just curious what you other out there were doing.

Also, would someone mind sharing the formula on how to calculate a triangle? There was a thread on this awhile back and some posted many odd calculations.

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont believe that the 83 has a converter. I just checked mine and i could not find it. I know for sure though that the TI-86 and up have a converter, so you may want to be extra good and plead with santa;).

Just round up. In the whole scheme of things, what is 6" or less going to matter.

For triangle, its half the length times the height. (LxW)/2
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I don't suppose it matters a whole lot, but sure would be nice to have a measuring wheel that converted the inches to decimals. I guess you could call me a convenient freak.

4. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

That's EASY! 10'10" = 11' :blob2: :blob1: :blob3: :blob4:
  5. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious how you measure the area of your yards, because many lawns are not really even a simple rectangle, take culdesacs for example.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Really now guys, this isn't that hard.

1" = .083 foot and for each 1/4 quarter foot you add an extra .001

10" = 10 X .083 + .003 = .833 foot

This will certainly get you close enough for yard work.
  7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to look at the irregularly shaped yards and see what "shapes" make it up. You might have to do a number of different calculations if you want to get the square footage pegged really close.

I just did one where the main body of the front yard was a rectangle, sandwiched on the sides and "top" by three triangles. The side yard was, for lack of better terms, a lopsided oval - with different widths running it's length. Turned out to be 8,135 sq. ft. & just eyeballing it I thought maybe 10,000. The shrubs, borders, ect., add up.

When I measured a portion of the yard to be 69 ft. 10 in., I just round up to 70 ft. If it was 10 ft. 2 in., I round down to 10 ft.