1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Calculation of area.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 1BadHawk, Mar 20, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

If you have a mulch bed that is a strange shape, can you use a waking wheel to measer the perimeter then convert that to a rectangular shape to figure the area?

For example, your perimeter of this odd shape bed is say, 58 feet. If you have a rectangle 1' x 28' (which has the same 58' perimiter) that would give you a quick area calculation.

Is this right or am I experience a brain malfunction?

Reason being, I figure if this holds true, then you can take a total walking measurement of all beds to create a single rectangle for easy calculation of total sq footage.

5 beds 14' perimeters ea. = 70
    12 trees 4' perimeters ea. = 48
    118 total, = 58 sq ft total

This can easily be done in your head by taking the total perimiter measurement, substract 2, then divide the remainder by 2 for your total sq footage.

I knew I shouldnt have skipped so many algebra classes in high school. :rolleyes:
  2. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

then, supply
    then, mulch
    put in width ---- length
    diameter of circle
    then, thickness ie: 2" --- 3" --- 4"
  3. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Been there, done that. But in the field I dont have access to that web site, So I was trying to think of how I can come up with an accurate estimate. Got to thinking about the the math and thought you could work it out like I described?
  4. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you are over thinking this. If it's an odd shape ,so what. Just measure the length and take an avg width. What I do is this, lets say a bed is 40 ft long but it's width is anywhere from 4-8 ft. I just do 40 x 6 =240 divided by 150 for a 2 inch coverage and thats it. Most homes today do not have perfectly rectangle beds ,so I don't try to be "exact".