1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Calculations, i want to dbl check my #'s

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bcomstock15, Jul 5, 2011.

1. DavidNJ

DavidNJ LawnSite Senior Member

One question is how accurately you can control the speed. Without GPS speed control, isn't there at least a 10% variation there, and maybe greater?

Then, if the unit is used on turns or arcs, what is the difference in rate between the outside of the boom and the inside?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I say a strait water run is going to give you your final answer.

On my little POS simplicity mower, I pull a unit behind it. It has two notches in the shifter column. One for max mowing speed, and one for road travel.

I can do the calculations of speed, out-put, etc... then go out and test coverage at the two different speeds. Ultimately there is no variation in the speed with the notch positions.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, shouldn't say that, love the little thing and how well it lays some 34" stripes.

4. bcomstock15

bcomstock15 LawnSite Member

speed is controlled accurately imo, full throttle, and then there are set gears. maybe a little bit of variation if its not running tip top or something, but not 10%, less than 5% id guess.

Of course there will be a difference when i turn, how could you possibly avoid that on any sprayer setup? maybe i'm doing it wrong, ive been going in strips, turning 180 degrees each time.

Im starting to see results from the spray i did 4-5 days ago, dandelion leaves are browning up, curling etc, clover is dying fast. is that a normal time frame?

I'm a little worried that it's affecting my grass a bit, but it's so minor i can't even really tell if its happening. just seems like its a bit yellower where i sprayed. should i be concerned?
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I would say you are in good shape. 4 to 5 days to turn dandelions and clover brown is about right. Under warm moist conditions you will notice curling and twist of the leaf stem and tip of the weed after only 12 hours. If weather is dry or the weeds are mature or growing slowly for some reason the reaction is much slower.