1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

calibrating a spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bababooie, Jan 31, 2001.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

how is the correct way to calibrate a spreader that is not named on the back of the granular fert. bag.i'm using a broadcast spreader.
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What kind of spreader is it?
  3. bababooie

prize lawn lil foot
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Lesco has a pattern chart, it shows different amounts of seed on a paper. You spread onto cardboard or something and compare. A real PITA if you ask me. If you are commercial why not buy a spreader that is compatable with the products you use? For me, I use Lesco spreaders and calabration is a breeze, I understand Spiker is also easy.
  5. bababooie

most of the spreaders that your talking about are 250 to 300 bills,plus they take up alot of room,but i gotta do what igotta do.
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We have scotts professional spreaders and they take up all of a 2x2 corner of the trailer at max. If you do not have room you could also invest on the brackets that attach your spreader to the tailagate or bumper.

Just my .02
  7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

OR do it old style...measure your square footage, read bag, x amount of product over blah blah blah feet, pour amount of bag into spreader, MOVE OUT!!!
  8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

An article i found for you from
    Michigan State University’s
    Landscape Crop Advisory Team Alert
    your spreader either doesn’t match the product you bought, or the setting numbers on your spreader have worn off. A simple way to calibrate is to determine how much product you need to apply. Products are formulated for a bag to cover a specific area, so once you’ve estimated the area of your lawn you’ll be able to determine how much product to apply.

A simple example would be if a 50 lb. bag covers 10,000 sq.ft. and you’ve determined your lawn is 2,500 sq. ft., you would need to apply a quarter of the 50 lb. bag or 12 ½ lbs. of product.

Weigh out the amount of product you need and if you don’t know the spreader setting, start on a low setting where the opening is just big enough to allow the particles to pass through. Now make one pass over the entire lawn and see how much product is left over. If you have half of the product left in the hopper, one more pass and you’re done. If you’re not that fortunate, increase the spreader setting a notch or two and go again.

Continue this process until the entire product is emptied from the hopper. You might think this is very tedious, but the goal is to avoid applying more product than is necessary. Remember to sweep any fertilizer or herbicide particles from the driveway and sidewalks back into the lawn. If they are left on the pavement they could potentially wash directly into the sewer lines which ultimately lead to our lakes and streams. lets all work to keep these products on the turf and not in the gutter

9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Ditto :rolleyes:

That's why I spent $300, read the bag, set the spreader, and go. That's too much stuff to do everytime you want to put out a different product.