calibration of spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Mar 14, 2009.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Does fertilizer spread faster and flow quicker if the humidity is low? The flow of my Barricade product was great today. While spreading with my Permagreen Ultra, I think I had to reduce the control dial to a lower setting, just due to dry weather. I found I must apply 50 pounds in just over 3 minutes and 40 seconds. Irregular, but once I ran out only 10 seconds too soon.

Also--is there any difference in flow rate if the spreader is full, as compared to half, or a quarter full? I hope not; calibration would be a whole new ball game.

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Humidity affects the coatings on the herbicide combination products. It pulls the moisture from the air and makes the product behave differently. Products like 13/13/13 and urea will start to melt almost instantly inside a hot hopper in high humidity. If it is drier outside, the product will not clump or stick. High humidity will cause sticking and slower application. I will call this a common sense action with certain fertilizers being sulfur coated, plasticoated. Quick release nitrates will behave differently under excessive moisture conditions.

I applied 34/0/0 to my 2 acres the other day. It was 78 degrees with about 15% humidity. My hopper holds 100 lbs. The stuff was getting sticky inside the hopper as I was walking. The weight of the fertilizer, and while bumping around on ruts, made the material pack inside the hopper. I did apply less per acre than calculated for. After the 2 acres were done, I had 10 lbs left over...... The hopper was stickier than before....
    Moisture affects paints.........?
    Moisture affects sand........?
    I will think a little harder and respond later..

Excellent topic Riggle.

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Needless to say Riggle, I underapplied fertilizer to my pasture.................
    My spreader isn't adequate enough maybe....
    I have had better results from those cheap ole' Scott's push models..??
    Paid 200.00 for this model and the aperature gets clogged too easily.

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

oh yeah, especially when spreading grub control. some brands are notorious for being sticky. we always have to trun our spreaders up a notch or two and clean them out several times per day. nothing else seems to affect the rate like that one. wehave found a cleaner products and dont have much problem anymore but always look for the problem to occur

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, definately. I don't fertilizer full time, but I do enough, lol. I notice the difference between a humid day and dry days too. On humid days even 'clean' fertilizer cakes up on the spinner plate. Yesterday I went through 25 bags and there was barely anything on there at all, all day.