Calibration of tank

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mwallingford, Sep 18, 2003.

1. mwallingford

mwallingford LawnSite Member

I've been putting down Momentum at 1.5 ozs. per 1,000 sq. ft. in 2 gals. of water, with a sticker/spreader. At times it seems to be working very slowly. Will I get better results using a little less chemical and less water. Give me some rates of chemical and water that might work better. Thanks.
  2. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

The rates you listed are ok. The main thing is to make sure you are getting even coverage when you spray out of a small sprayer.

What coverage do you get out of 2 gallons? If you are covering much more than 2000 sq. ft., you are probably spraying too fine of a mist which is hard to control.

Also keep in mind that summer weeds often die slower because the weed control works quickest when the weed is growing the quickest. In addition, clover, ground ivy , violets and other weeds get a hardening to the leaf which doesn't allow the product to translocate as quick this time of year. Just because the weed isn't dying quickly, doesn't necessarily mean it won't die.
  3. I spray very low volume.

I use momentum also, at 1.25 oz/.5 gallon/1000 sq.ft. w/spreader-sticker. I have good control over weeds and I love the low volume approach.
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

We found many years ago that the beauty of using back packs and pump sprayers is that the pressure can be altered for specific needs.

Take Dandelion for example. Easy to wet the leaves at just about any pressure, right?

Clover. At high pressure, what happens to the spray, sticker or not? it rolls right off. Low pressure and a finer mist for clover and you get the product to sit right on the leaf.