1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

california drought

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScottHypsie, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ScottHypsie

ScottHypsie LawnSite Member

Anyone scared sh1tless over the drought. Hundred degree temperatures and customers are only watering 3 days a week and wont let me near there timer boxes.
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think I could go through not using water.
  3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I grew up in So Cal. somethings never change.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We learned that you can grow grass with once a week watering so keep your head up. In 2011 we thought we would never get any rain. We had over 60 days over 100F.....got to 110 once.
  5. ScottHypsie

ScottHypsie LawnSite Member

We need a damn ElNinuo
  6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

No, this stuff is serious, they are calling this the worst drought in US History and it's not just here, it's all over the world!

Half of our country is in some kind of a drought condition...

I'm surprised they're watering three days, around my necks we're down to 1 and 2 days and we HAVE water (for now) but we also have a better understanding about frequency vs. duration and trickle irrigation systems, the fact anyone seems surprised does not bode well... I don't think you kids should be fooling with the timer boxes, this isn't just California and it's not just a regular drought either... Lake Meade is down below levels from before it was even built, in the short term there's no solution in sight and in the long term... This is a drawn out cyclical drought, it's far worse than any regular annual dry spell and if you ask me it's looking REAL ugly.

A few parts of the world still have water...
    No, I am not joking.

Currently many BIG cities do NOT have running water.

Below is a current 2014 'drought' map of the world...
    Any light to dark green areas are good to go.
    I hope you're sitting down.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014