california trimmer missing bed knife?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by george28, May 3, 2014.

1. george28

george28 LawnSite Member

Hi all, new member to the forum. I recently purchased a home owner california trimmer used off of craigslist. I know very little about these mowers but became interested since acquiring a house with bent grass and previous owner used a caltrimmer to mow. The trimmer I bought does not appear to have a bed knife installed but does cut the grass granted does not seem to cut real even following first mow. From picture attached can anyone confirm this is missing a bed knife and if so a rough estimate to purchase and have installed. Is this a DIY project? Thanks and I apologize in advance I know very little about these mowers.

20440d1399174303-caltrimmer-missing-bed-knife-image-jpg.jpg

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Without a bed knife it won't cut at all. Mower in the picture needs a through cleaning.

3. I would pass on that and look for something better. You can get good used reels for good prices.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. george28

george28 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I've attached some new pictures. I just mowed following rain and the undercarriage was pretty muddy from pics. What I understand to know about the trimmer is that it is the 5th anniv 20" homeowner model RL205H. Still, is anyone able to confirm that it is missing the bed knife? I paid $300 for it on craigslist. The guy didn't seem to know a lot about the mower either but did say that I could return it if it didn't work out. He seemed very honest and up front. Do you think I paid to much for condition it's in and should return? Thanks again for any replies.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg