California Water Problem's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by agrostis, Jan 15, 2014.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

$25B? If you're going to spend that kind of money, would it not make more sense to build desalinization plants in S. California instead? Seems like a better long term solution than diverting water from Northern California through 40' diameter tunnels...

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

just cover Nevada with solar panels to power the California desalinization :p

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You're like George Constanza, a problem solver. :p:p:p
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Sure, Ca has power generation problems as well but if desal became more widespread, surely the market would come up with a way to decrease it's power needs over time.

Or, Ca could build some new power plants, which they need anyway...

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

To be kind I would say that, California has a multitude of problems and leave it at that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

yep... and the source of a good majority of them is purely political. The weather is the only reason to live in CA and anymore I'm beginning to think that's not even enough of a reason.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We were supposed to have an El Nino winter but that never materialized. El Nino usually send storms across the lower half of the US. CA usually gets flooded and so does the SE. We haven't had an El Nino even in 15 years or so I don't think. Neutral usually means there is an equal chance of drought anywhere. Nothing really influencing the weather patterns.
    Israel has one of the largest desalination plants in the world. If that tiny country can do it then why can't we? The only problem they have is how to get rid of the salt. The Northern half of the US could use the salt right now. CA could go into the Sea salt selling biz. Strange that we spend 100s of billions on everything except making sure the population has water during droughts. Almost surrounded by the Ocean the richest country is still rationing water in 2014:hammerhead:

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I left in 1992 and haven't looked back.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Putting aside the cost of production, how does one get water from a desalination plant to areas in need?