1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

call back right away?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 10, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

when meeting with customers, and leaving an estimate, if u dont get an answer right away, do u call them within a few days to follow up?
  2. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

Personally, I would give them 7-10 days..... before I call back..... which is what I would expect if I were in their shoes.
  3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I rarely call them back - only if they ask me to or if I REALLY want the job - then I call them back in 2-3 days. Remember with lawn care - they need it done weekly. So, waiting for too long means - dropping the ball so to speak. Try to close the deal at the point of sale - much less hassle.
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, I follow up with customers after leaving a bid within one week. I do this by asking if they had any questions and thank them again for their time. Following up with potential customers helps to show you are interested in their business.

5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely_man - that's an excellent way to follow-up. That's the way we usually do it too. It's very soft-sell and non-threatening to the consumer and it really does show that you're very customer care oriented - while really presenting another op to close the deal.
  6. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

we try to call back within 7-10 days just to answer any questions that they may have and once again thank them for their time for meeting with us
  7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I will call back in 2-3 days if it is a regular customer estimating extra landscape work. If it is a potential new customer, I will not call back. The new customer has my number and if they are serious about doing the work they will call. It is not a good use of my time trying to track down estimates if I am not going to get the job.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I always call back...usually in 3 or 4 days.
  9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Calling back is almost always a good idea. I can't say I always do it. Often, I am just way too busy and if they don't call me back, I am on to the next 15 people that DID call me back that week.

However, I always go through my contact log once every few weeks and cross out or call back clients who never replied. Some I just cross out because I could tell they were just shopping for the cheapest guy. And that isn't me. But others, who I got a good feeling about, I'll call them back and just see if they ever decided to hire anyone.

I get all sorts of responses. Some people tell me they've already hired someone else. Sometimes, I'll ask why they didn't chose us. Other people just tell me they haven't hired anyone and are still thinking about it. I'll just tell them, "No hurry. I just came across your name and was thinking of you. Call us when you're ready." And still others say, "Yes, in fact, I wanted to call you but I keep forgetting to. And I am not sure where I placed your estimate. When can you start?" And THOSE people are the reason I always call back.
  10. It all depnds on the meeting.First of all if I want the job.If so then I will call back within a week.This time of year isn't as important as april when the sun is out.People become more eager to make a deal in april & may