1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Call from Home owners society

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kalyeah, Mar 20, 2005.

1. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Just got a call from a guy on a home owners society. They had signs posted and I put my doorhangers in the paper boxes anyways. He said he was tired of being solicited and told me there was trash laying all around from my doorhangers. Pretty sure he just got up to get the paper today and saw it then. Funny he didn't notice them all day yesterday. Anyways, I've gotten a lot of work from ignoring these signs. Not to mention all my competition ignores them too. If I didn't put them out I could be loosing customers to my competition. Maybe I should pay more attention to the signs. However, I always feel people like this just have way too much time on there hands. Wish I had the time to worry about someone putting something in my paperbox. I just take them and throw them away.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

it happened to me every time i did flyers. once they are delivered there is nothing they can do.
  3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

When my wife and I were the on site manager's at a 25 condo complex, we hated it when someone came and left crap. Have some respect for the people and the signs they have. When I found them or their fliers on the property, they were the last people on the list to call. If they could not respect the signage and homeower's request, I wasn't going to worry about trusting them on the property at all. It is called trespassing and some people don't take kindly to it. Be glad where you live that you can use fliers because I can't.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

it is not called trespassing. If I can walk there without flyers than bringing flyers does not make it trespassing.

Annoying it may be, but so are commercials when I am watching the big game. Advertising is here to stay. I read no soliciting to mean don't knock on my door and do the Jehovah's witness thing. Putting up a door hanger is no worse than junk mail. 1/2 of a second to throw it away if you don't want it.
  5. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

I feel most of these people are just old with too much time on there hands. I get stuff all the time. If it's something I'm interested in I'll call them. If it's not I just throw it away. I definately don't get worked up over it.
  6. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Where we were there was a big sign that said Private, at the end of the road there was also a big sign that said Private Road, Homeowners Only. We actually threw the JW off of the property.

In this area, most of the homes are second, third or fourth homes and nothing spells Vacancy faster than junk mail left on the door.

I read No Soliciting to mean, leave me alone period. We each have our own opinions though. :)

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If that guys really wants privacy, he might still be able to get a good deal on the Unibomber's little shack in Montana. Such hardships these folks face, dealing with our doorhangers and all. :rolleyes:
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The "No Soliciting" Law is much like the "Do Not Call List" in-fact they are almost one in the same

If I ask you to put me on the "Do Not Call List" you have to do it or I can have legal action put upon you .... this does not mean my phone number is not assessable for others to call ..... just no commercial calling

So it is a form of trespassing .... yes you can call or walk there .... just don't try n sell me nothing

N not to "bust" anyones %all's but if I find that stuff on my door I call you to come n get it
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen. It's a tough life when you have to deal with people who want to offer a service.

I complain about telemarketers because I have to go out of my way and interrupt myself to answer the phone. Stuff in the mailbox or hung on the door? Please. Those who are that antisocial need to move to the Himalayas.

Incidentally, if I did (or avoided doing) every last little bloody thing some idiot or other wants me to do (or not do), I would not even get out of bed in the morning...or would I? Maybe I would just kill myself...or would I?

Screw the signs that say no solicitation. Hanging a flyer is not solicitation, period. When the law says I can't do it, I won't do it. Until then, here's your flyer!!!!!
  10. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

And your the same person who walks on someones land after seeing a no trespassing sign and then makes some excuse why its OK. People don't want to keep throwing your crap away and thats why they take the time to put out those signs.

It's not OK, its dis-respectfull and I hope the word gets out in the area about your tactics.
    Classic case of respect me but I won't respect you.