Call me weak, call me lazy.......

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by OMG, Jul 25, 2005.

1. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

but after almost stroking out from the heat this morning (115 Heat Index/100+ temp), I came to the house-----

I'll try to limp back into the field later this afternoon, and probably work up until dark----but I just couldn't stand it any longer.

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You probably had heat exhaustion (dizzy, sick to stomach,etc.). If you had heat stroke you would be passing out and ambulance taking you to the hospital and you might even die. Better to spend rest of day indoors recuperating so your body would get back to normal before you go out the next day.

3. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto as the above guy said!!!

4. Turf Lady

Turf Lady LawnSite Member

Had my crew arrive at the shop at 6:00 in the morning! Knowing it was going to be tough. It was 95 by 9:00 am you could tell that the temps were rising.

The crew were very sluggish, and could not wait for what was on the agenda finished and call it a day by 12:30.

Tomorrow, 6:00 am again until the temps go down abit. :cool:

5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

In this heat, I would call it SMART! Same with everyone else, Take the day off and start again tomorrow. I believe that the weather is supposed to break by then.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly,I have been preaching this for weeks now on here.
    DON'T MESS WITH THE HEAT!IT CAN KILL!Heast exaustion can turn into heatstroke quick and before you know it your dead.Signs are-Goosebumps-lightheadedness-inability to make simple decisions-stomach upset-nausea-dots in front of eyes-wooziness-dizzyness any or all of these symptoms
    and you better get in to a cool place quick.If thats not possible,get to shade and cool off by pouring water or ice on your head and neck.People suffering from heat exaustion are sometimes unable to realize that is what's happining to them.They don't get cooled off in time or just try and tough it out.Well finishing that work won't help you get paid if your dead.

7. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

No you did what anyone else would do here at LS that has 1/3 rd a brain . And i belive 97% of the folks here qualify .

I come in when the temp gets up their. Plus the high humidity as of late , i told my fiance this morning , only thing i plan on is grading the driveway . That just sitting on the tractor seat and muggy air was hot .

Their has not been nor will ever be a Job so important as to make your self sick nor kill your self in this heat.

8. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Late Afternoon: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 91. Heat index values as high as 100. West wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch

And its thundering to beat the ban id say a bad one is on its way

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
    MONONGALIA COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA

* UNTIL 400 PM EDT

* AT 254 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
    SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING PENNY SIZE HAIL...AND
    DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 58 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR
    WADESTOWN...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
    WANA...
    BLACKSVILLE...
    DAYBROOK...

<>SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 58
    MILES AN HOUR AND LARGE HAIL GREATER THAN THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH.

PLEASE REPORT HAIL...STRONG WINDS OR WIND DAMAGE TO THE NATIONAL
    WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE. 1-877-633-6772. WHEN YOU CAN DO
    SO SAFELY.

Oh boy

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Good call. Don't push it. I've seen guys that have wound up in the hospital and yes, it can kill you. Luckily I haven't known anyone personaly that has died this way so far. Take it easy.

10. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Call me weak, call me lazy.......

Just don't call me to push-mow your damn yard.