Called a boy today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chipk1, Mar 30, 2007.

1. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

During a conversation with a customer today, a phrase came out of his mouth that kinda ticked me off. We were talking about a payment he forgot to mail and in this conversation he said "Damn, I forgot to mail that boy a check". I am 43 years old an this guy is about 35. So I'm thinking to myself, what did he mean by "boy". Then it dawned on me. He thinks of me as a LAWN BOY. :cry: :cry:

Does it bother anyone else to be thought of as a LAWN BOY.

I mean I'm sitting and a piece of equipment worth more than this guys car, running my own business, and probably grossing more annually than he makes in two and he is calling me a boy. ARGH!

Then I thought what the heck, let them think of me as a boy and I will charge him extra for the work he wants done to pay for my agony!

2. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

Who cares? I would rather people not know i'm making as much as i am, then they feel sorry for you. As long as he pays you don't let it bother you.

3. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

He could have called you a lot worse things than "boy."

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you are from the South, that was what black male slaves were called. "Hey BOY come on here and load that cotton on this wagon" you are just considered a white slave that is given a token for your work, "cut that grass Boy". Don't let it bother you just laugh about it on your way to the bank.

5. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at it this way. This kind of ignorance works to our advantage, if they had any brains they would realize they were paying upwards of $100.00 per hour to get their lawn cut by us boys:laugh: all the way to the bank.

6. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the check doesn't bounce I could care less what they call me! :rolleyes:

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Ya, should be proud to be called a Boy or young man:laugh:

8. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

You can call me anything you want, just PAY UP!!!

9. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

Correct me if I am wrong... but you are a lawn boy. Right?

10. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

dont bother me as long as i see the money!