1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Calling ALL 260Z owners!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I had another look at Gravelys 260Z. I hadn't looked at them in a few years, well since I first started thinking about adding a Z.

Since then they have shortened the frames and did several tweaks. Now I'm not sure if it's the changes or a few years experience with a Z, but I find I have a whole new appreciation for the machine. My wife went along with me. Heck she even liked it to the extent that she turned her nose up at some other mowers. She thinks I should go back and get one.

Part of me thinks so too. But, one of a few things I recalled from the demo a few years ago was that the demo didn't cut all that great. Specifically, the cut was not real crisp, had a lot of trouble with stringers and had a real hard time cutting any sort of seedhead stalks. But I had also never checked the setup. I had just assumed the dealer had made all the proper adjustments.

So I was hoping those of you who own them could comment a little bit. Maybe explain the optional baffle kits to me a little better and post some pictures of the 260Z cut.....
  2. Envy Lawn Service

I thought there were a lot of you guys now?
    Where ya at?
  3. KurtisInIowa

KurtisInIowa LawnSite Member

I have never used the 260Z, but I have a 240Z and a 280Z! (datsun)
    If you get tired of looking at mowers, check them out at

4. GBCS

GBCS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Envy – The cut of the 260 is excellent. When you see lawns cut with other brands I’m sure you will not be able to say which brand cut which lawn. From what I can see in my area Scags cut the worst, but that could be due to improper mower setups. Regarding stringers and seedheads, I only had one yard that gave me a few stringers that went uncut, but I’m guessing the height I was cutting at caused the problem (I was cutting at 4 1/4”). The stalks of dallisgrass gives me problems, but once again I think dallisgrass will give all brands problems. I have watch Toro’s and Scags leave dallisgrass needing a double cut. I will try to post some images of one of my yards I cut with the 260 this week.

BTW I will be buying another 260 soon.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have the Gravely 272z. Its almost the same as the 260z. I've been real impressed with the quality of cut. The machine is built solid. It will out-cut my Grasshoppers hands down! I have no regrets!
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks for the replies guys. I sure would like to see some of those cut pics. Anyways, there are a lot of stalky grasses in this area. Pasture fescues, as well as Bahia and Dallisgrass contamination.... maybe the Bahia baffle kit might help out. Anyone have that?
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! That's what I was thinking of when I saw this thread. I had a Datsun 260Z and a 280Z too. What great cars.

I can't believe you put a Chevy engine in that 280Z of yours! The shame!!! :rolleyes:

8. Envy Lawn Service

My father-in-law built a 280Z for a guy and installed a built small block chevy.
    All I can say is that it's REMARKABLE...
  9. KurtisInIowa

KurtisInIowa LawnSite Member

Yeah, they are a lot of fun. The V8 swap into the Z car is an easy and popular swap. Instant go-fast! sorry, not trying to hi-jack the thread....
  10. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I Have Two 260z's (2004) And I Love Them. They Cut Great And Are A Solid Machine. I Only Use Gravely I Swear By Them. Every One Around Hear Use Bobcats And When They See The 260's Ther Heads Turn.