1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

calling all 48" walker users, past and present

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Feb 7, 2007.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

looking to buy another walker and i've found a few used ones local. here's my thing, i used to have a model T, 20/42" that ran well, didn't bog down in much of anything.

now i am looking at the same mower with a 20hp but a 48". anyone have any bad problems with the 20hp being too underpowered for the 48" everything else the engine powers?

2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Never had a power problem with my 48" ghs. The 20hp kohlar has been a good match for this machine.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. The dealer I bought my 20hp 48" GHS from told me that size makes up about 80% of the walkers he sells every year. He says that most people that come in are horsepower hungry, used to the bigger machines with bigger decks and much higher ground speeds. Told me that he tried to downsell everyone of them to a 20hp unit if he can. Granted this rule is only for GHS or SD decks, smaller than 48". Bigger than that and or mulching is a whloe different power world, more power is definately needed. If you don't ever plan on running a larger deck I'd go with the 20hp.

I had one, for about a year, and NEVER bogged the engine. However I had many other problems with mine that lead me to sell it. Just didn't care for the slowness and frankly the cut wasn't that great unless mowing at a slower speed than I was willing to put up with. Also the clogging in wet grass.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, ground speed isn't walkers strong point, but the yard i am looking at and currently have aren't large enough to wind out a mid-mount anyway. they also have a new larger screen for the ghs hopper that is supposed to do wonders in wet conditions, that and the new 10.5" blower.

i had a speed up kit on my old one and it made the handling very skittish and was still a lot slower than most ztr's. i still miss it though, but i want to step up to 48" since i've gotten rid of most of my small gated yards.
  5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have just bought an 2006 model thats brand new but left over from last year for significatly less than the new ones. I havent had a chance to use it yet , but i have a 16hp yes i know the old engine no one wants with 1600+ hours on it and a 48 in deck. I know peoplesay you cant run that big of deck on it, but i do and have. Have minimal problems unless grass is really lush and damp. I cant imagine having any problems with the 20 hp bogging down at normal speed unless your trying to cut off too much like a yard that went 2 weeks. For every week use id say you will be fine. I like my walker alot it does have its draw backs, but for cutting burmuda noting will touch the quality of cut. I think you will be happy with the bigger blower def, but i am not willing to be the guinnie pig on the new 23hp kohlers. The 20hp around here have proven them selves over and over to be reliable and i want somehting i can depend on. For 10 grand it better be dependable as hell
  6. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have a 20hp with 48inch deck and got to use my brothers 48" with diesel last summer, and like it better. The 20 will bog down in heavy grass which slows the rpm's down, which slows the blower fan, which causes a clog in wet grass. I could clog the diesel, but I had to try to do it. I would recommend the diesel unless the checkbook wont allow it. Well worth the money in my opinion.