Calling all Hunter Pro-C owners/operators help me diagnose my unit

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Goobie, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Goobie

Goobie LawnSite Member

Hey there,

My Hunter Pro-C controller is acting up and I was hoping fellow owners/operators can confirm if this is normal behaviour for the Pro-C or if mine is faulty. I sent mine back to the supplier who basically pressed the reset button and returned it to me as "fixed". In short, my controller runs programs with the dial in the OFF position.

Here is how to recreate the problem.
    1. Turn dial to OFF.
    2. Press the + button once to set it to OFF:1
    3. Turn dial back to ON, and wait for the current time to be displayed.
    4. Turn dial to OFF and leave it there.
    5. Check the next day if the controller turned on anyway.

Mine turns on even if it is in the OFF position. I first noticed this when I switched it off for 3 days (OFF:3) following a heavy thundershower. After 2 days it rained again and I decided to switch the system off completely by dialing to the SYSTEM OFF position. To my surprise on the 3rd day the system activated itself even though it was in the OFF position. If it makes any difference, I run 9 stations (thus have 2 additional PCM300 modules) and a rainclick sensor. Its date code is 061222.

any help will be much appreciated
    thanks

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive never seen a pro c do that before . Toro vision yes , but not a pro c. Is it still under warrenty? If so , bring it back.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

God, I hate those Vision Controllers.. 1 and 2..

I as well never seen the Pro C do that...
    good luck buddy...take it to the supply house

4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

do you know what you're doing when you do those steps? You're setting the rain delay. If you are setting the rain delay you don't have to switch it back to off when you are done. It shouldnt come on for three days if you set it for three days and leave it on.

if you already knew all that then I dunno.

5. Did ya'll notice this thread starter is from S. Africa? Pretty cool. That will be one costly Hunter shipping bill. I bet they trash bad timers rather than ship them back to CA.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the controller is operating with the dial in the Off position, I would suspect bad switch contacts.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No couldn't be a Hunter. Everyone here swears that Hunter never has any problems. :)

Bad contacts my guess too. It happens. All makes and models will occasionally have a problem. Probably needs replacing.

8. Goobie

Goobie LawnSite Member

Yes, that is what my original intention was; to set the delay for 3 days, but then I changed my mind and I wanted to cancel the rain delay by (what I thought would do it) turning the dial to OFF. Anyhow, how am I suppose to cancel the rain delay of (e.g.) 3 days if it doesn't stop raining and you don't know how long it will continue to rain.

I spent an hour at our local Hunter supplier (and agent for Hunter in SA) today. I rigged it up in front of them, set Program A to start at 12:00am and run for 5 minutes. I turned the clock back to 11:59pm. Did my little sequence of going -> OFF:1 -> RUN -> OFF. And viola, program A activates as soon as the clock struck 12:00am with the dial in the OFF position. They repeated it on a brand new unit from the store room and it did EXACTLY the same thing!

They have no idea how to fix it, they basically told me to use the controller as is and don't use the rain delay. Should I email Hunter (USA) and complain, is there perhaps a difference between USA models and International models? Thats why I was hoping a user on the forum could check their controllers to verify.

9. Fascinating. Okay Hunter folks I'm curious as to what you are finding.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, could be a glitch in the programming. Hello, SRC :)