1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Calling All Lawn Care Pros

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrew's Lawn Maintenance, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

I am wondering how many of you use a set amount every month for a 6 month period. In NH, I mow a total of 25 cuts a season. So I was wondering if it would be easier for me and my customers to take the number of cuts, multiply it by the amount per cut and then devide it by lets say 6 months. Tired of people saying the lawn doesn't need to get cut during the dry season. Loosing money!!!:mad:
  2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I am in the process of doing that right now with all my clients and it includes fert and mulch, if they want it. I am sure it will make life easier.
  3. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have done it that way for the 10 years I have been in business. Helps everyone especially the older fixed income folks budget themselves every month.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

might be more attractive to spread it across 12 months...makes it look like a smaller amount and it would be easier if they set up bank payments automatically.
  5. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

Why 12 months? Your not doing mowing in the winter time. Although in Austin you might? I think I will do the 6 month route.
  6. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

6 months = larger amount on the check each month. Some people are able/more willing to write a smaller check. It all works out the same. You just have to wait longer to get ALL your money. I have done 10 month contracts in the past.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We don't mow every month either but the point is......if you get a customer on auto pay they almost forget about it and that is a good thing.
    Seldom get a cancel on people paying auto......assuming we continue to do a good job and our rates are low, which they are. Don't you do any cleanup of leaves or snow removal for 6 months?
  8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

have had the 12 month deal for 7 years now and have only lost a handful and had even more sign up. I multiply mowing by 26 and that includes leaf removal in the fall. Most of my yards get mowed 22-23 times a season and I figure leaf removal is usually the equivilant to 2-3 mowings. With the drought this year, I have claened gutters, fencerows and cut small trees and bushes to "make up" not mowing. I spread it over 12 months because as was stated earlier, it makes for a lower payment and is more enticing to older folks. I have three churches, a bed and breakfast and a mini storage all signed up on this type of deal and they all love it becasue they can more easily lay out their monthly budgets. What I have coming in basically pays my truck and mower payments through the winter months. I do still have customers that pay every time I show up. With the monthlys, the deal runs from March 1 through Feb28(9) of the following year and we renegoitate in Feb. When I first started this type of payment, I was bad about not setting aside money for the winter. This, in effect, is my way of having money come in through the winter. JMO.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do accounts that are summer work only, on 6 months.

I do accounts on winter work only, on 6 months.

I have accounts where I do the mowing and the plowing, and they pay for 12 months.

There's no way I'd string an account out 6 months after I did the work (if you ran summer work out 6 months), nor would I expect a customer to start paying me 6 months before I did any work.

I've been doing this for 10 of the 19 years I've been in business.

I start May 1, and invoices are sent out May 1 for May work and are due by the end of the month, or I don't do any work for June.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've been signing new clients up for the past 2 seasons on a flat-rate plan, with no questions or complaints really. I base it off of a 'per cut' price that I keep to myself...times 30 cuts, over 8 months. I have some that pay over 10 months too, but I try to get all the revenue in season when I am incurring most of my operating expenses. We don't do snow removal, and Jan/Feb are pretty much dead for resi maintenance in this area so 8,9,10 months works well.

I have debated whether to force older clients to switch to this payment system...for now I keep them on the old per cut system but next year I'll probably switch some of the slow payers. The ones that I rarely skip, and pay on time, no reason to rock the boat.