1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Northern Landscapers!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by polecat63, Mar 14, 2005.

1. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi all, got a call from a client that I installed a row of arborvitae for last year. Seem the tips have turned brown. I've noticed many of the evergreen in this area have the same problem and I'm hoping it was just our unusually cold/long winter. The temp here were 15-20 degrees below normal for much of the winter, the coldest winter here in probably 15 years or so. Is this a problem any of you are familiar with or will I be replacing some trees?
  2. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

How close to salt air?Did you have a lot of easterlie wind this season?Yes abnormally cold
    can brown evergreens.They normally grow out of it,but it bears watching closely.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

After you wrote that I went and checked out some I planted in September and they were fine no browning and they are somewaht in the open about 1000 feet from the ocean. I am in Maine figured you could use this as reference.
  4. polecat63

Thanks. They're two block off the oceans, but behind the building away from the worst of the wind. I've noticed other evergreens with yellowing all over town, so I hope it's just a little stress from lower than normal temp. Also, this is a restaurant and around it's parking lot. I'm going to check the site tomorrow to see if the damage could be from vehicles bumping into them. Just odd that all of them are exibiting the same symptoms, that's why I was checking to see if it might be the cold.
  5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I planted 31 Green Giant Arbs back in the beginning of December at a customers house. They are on top of a berm about 5ft high and all of them have a little browning on some of the branches. This area has a ton of winds all throught the winter and I just figured that it was due to the constant winds and cold temps. I hope I'm correct. LOL
  6. polecat63

Me too!!! :D

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Did they get enough water last year? Did the plow truck pack snow against them? Did ice melter get dumped on them? It's probably just frost damage, but look for "mechanical" factors. Go and check the buds. If they're still healthy you'll be O.K.
  8. gil

gil LawnSite Member

that is most likely "Tip blight". you should remove the dead area to prevent infestation to the whole tree. I don't think it's winter damage because the whole branch will be dead. If it's only the tips I am almost sure it is tip blight. I hope this helps.
  9. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

Are you responsible to replace them if they croak?
  10. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I don't think he is going to be responsible. as he said that symptom is all over his area. I would cut those tips, charging of course.