Calling all Snapper 21" Hi Vac Commercial Mower Owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JaysLawns, Jul 7, 2008.

1. JaysLawns

JaysLawns LawnSite Member

Hey guys im looking from making the transition from a toro 21" commercial to a new snapper 21" commercial mower. I bag all my yards and mow about 8-10 resi yards a week. How is the quality of cut and how do they bag vs the toro mowers? I can get a new 21" Snapper commercial with the 6 kawi for around 900. Let me know. Thanks.

JJ

2. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I have two Snapper 21" hivac commercial mowers and I do not like them as much as my toro proline. The toro bags so much better especially in wet grass because the chute on the side of the snapper clogs really easy in tall or wet grass. The toro is a superior machine. The deck is alot thicker and can withstand alot more abuse. The front of the decks on my snappers are all bent to crap because of the thin thin metal deck, but the toro is just better.

3. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

I cut several smaller yards with a snapper 21" commercial. It is two years old and has the high-vac deck and a Honda 5 hp engine, not the 5.5 hp that is more common, but unless cutting very tall wet grass it has plenty of power. I have been very happy with this Snapper and the 21" Snapper homeowner model it replaced. I have used a Toro proline with the 6 hp Kawasaki engine and did not think it was superior. I like the faster top speed of the Snapper and the 6 speed transmission. The newer models have the same drive system but the speed selection is infinite from slowest to fastest speed with a slide handle opposite the throttle lever. The bagger chute does clog once in a great while and under extreme conditions, but it literally takes five seconds to clear it. The bag itself is the easiest and neatest bag made to empty if you go with the Z-fold back closure. Another advantage is you can empty directly into lawn and leaf bags without putting them it a trash can first. Just lay an open empty bag on the ground, set the snapper bag inside the trash bag, remove the clip and lift both bags straight up. Snappers are excellent for leaf removal in the fall and generate a lot of suction for picking up leaves and even some twigs, bark etc.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

What in the crap are you going through that's tearing the Snapper deck up? Did you know the Honda HRC has a thinner deck than the Snapper? (15ga vs the Snapper's 14ga)

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

All that is true, I bought my Snapper in 2001 and she has cut a whole lot of grass. It has a 6.5 Robin enging, I think the newer ones come with a 7 hp Kawasaki.
    The cool thing is there are many attachment made for Snapper. The mower can be converted to a mulcher by putting a pluge in the shute and changing blades. Theres is a side shute avaible. They make a screen that bolts on under the blade thus converting it to a leaf shreder vacumn.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 1997 model with a 6 hp Kawi on it. I don't much care for it since it's so heavy. It has 1 hour on it. I bought it as New Old Stock from the local Snapper dealer 2 years ago and I used it twice.

7. wildlandscape

wildlandscape LawnSite Member
    from MA

5 year old snapper which is very reliable, used about 2 hours a week, have only changed blades and oil few times, and spark plugs yesterday. the 6.75 briggs and stratton is ok but kawi i bet is nicer