Calling all tall landscapers!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tallkracker, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Tallkracker

Tallkracker LawnSite Member

For anyone over 6' tall what equipment do you like and is comfortable to you and what equipment is the most disliked and uncomfortable for you?
    I am 6'6 and I am so thankful for the ecs handles on the Exmark walkbehinds. I could not own a Scag or I would be in a wheelchair by age 40. I can't find a trimmer that will put the string on a even plane with the grass. I am so tall it changes the ideal angle of the head of the trimmer causing me to trim downward and catch on the turf and dig in.(Any recommendations.) As far as ZTR's are concerned I don't own one, but I do know that the Levers on the JD's hit my knees. I see that Gravely's has the top of the lever that flips open, and I notice some ZTR's have adjustable levers.
    Sorry if I left you short guys out of this tread, just goes to show you being tall has it's downfalls too.

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Your telling me you wasted your height on mowing ...?
    If I was 6'6 I'd be in the NBA....geez

3. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

remember white boys cant jump.lol

4. Turf Commando

Who needs to jump being 6'6?:laugh:

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I'm 6'4", and that's a conservative measure really...

I have just gotten used to trimmers the length they are, but Tanaka DOES have a new "extended reach" trimmer on the market now just for tall people! It's really way longer than I would have expected, they added something like 14" to the shaft length, when 6" or so would have been PLENTY. I'd love to *try* one, but not have to spend the huge amount of money they want for it just to try it. I'm afraid that If it's totally awquard to operate I'd hate it and then have to sell it for half of what I bought it for!

I mostly (95% of the time) run zero turn machines, and the biggest problem I have with some of them is leg room and the operator handles hitting my legs at full speed forward. It's just something I have to check out closely before I can even consider a particular brand of mower.

I did buy a Great Dane hydro walkbehind this last fall, mainly for a back-up machine, and I was concerned about being bent over to run it with a sulkey attachment. (It's a pistol grip) I was sorta suprised that it's not too bad... I have to slouch a tiny bit with the velke, but not as bad as I had thought. Other problems I have with machines, like 21" walk mowers, is that I'm always hitting the bag with my legs while I'm walking. I have to kinda short step or walk to the side. Tree limbs are NOT my friend... I get hung up wheather sitting on a mower or walking on the ground on stuff that most people never have a problem with.

yes, being freakishly tall sucks... It's impossible to "hide" in a crowd or sneak up on anyone :laugh:. Can't go into a discount store and buy pants, long sleeved shirts or coats because they are all too short in the legs/arms. Can't fit into cool rides at the amusement parks comfortably, can't fit into small cars w/o having your knees smashed into the dash or seat in front of you. It's just hell being tall... If I was like 5'10" I'd be happy as can be!

And NO, I didn't, and can't play basketball! :laugh:

6. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 6"4" also and now use nothing but Wright Standers. Also the light-weight Redmax trimmers with the handle adjusted up high.

7. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm 5'7 185 lbs after a few jack and coke's I'm rite at that hieght about 330 lbs and I never have any trouble lol??? :drinkup:

8. TOOLSHACK

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

I, too, would recommend looking at the new Tanaka "extended reach" trimmer. That may be a machine to help fit the bill. As for a comfortable mower...taht all depends... they're all gonna be a little different. Luckily though, handle extensions can be fabricated VERY easily to allow for more clearance around your legs. Stander-style mowers are another option, and I think one company makes a ZTR using a single joystick on one side..Country Clipper maybe?

I'm 6'3" with freakishly long arms and understand your issue. I can NEVER buy long sleeves clothing that actually fits. I have to bend down slightly to use a trimmer easily... and I'm notorious for banging my head into the light fixtures at every restaurant in town. Seriously...sometimes it'd be nice to 6' even and average.

9. Turf Commando

I'm surrounded by Giants ....YIKES!!!!!!!!
    Just kidding I'm 5'10

10. Tallkracker

Tallkracker LawnSite Member

Well I'm getting a kick out of this tread, it's good to know I'm not the only one on this ship. As far as basketball goes 6'6 doesn't stand out to much in the NBA, besides do you see what my screen name is TallKRACKER.lol