Calling BobbyGedd & your Red Hawk...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I know I could have PM'd you but others may be interested in what you have to say on this. I'm wondering if you've had a chance to put any hours on that Red Hawk yet? If so, what do you think of it after putting it to the test?

If you've answered these already I apologize for the repetition. I searched and found the original thread of when you bought it and it came in, but nothing was said about it other then the grips.

2. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Yes dealer may start carrying red hawks and would like to know something from someone who has used one. I am needing a new walk behind and red hawks have some good deals. How is it holding up?
  3. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I have never heard of a Red Hawk......where did they come from?
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, i am not going to use it for cleanups. i have the meg mos on another mower, and i use that one for cleanups. i did however take it on one lawn to try out, that had only a few leaves on it and no sticks. my initial concern was lack of blade speed, because when i engaged the blades, it was very quiet, and i figured with the 18 hp it would be loud. rest assured, the power is there. the 18 hp kohler sent the leaves and what little grass was there flying about 14 feet. it handled beautifully. i will report back on cutting quality within 3 weeks, as we havn't really cut yet, but will within 2-3 weeks. so far, so good
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

They use american engines and transmissions but the rest of the machine is made in China. I think you would be better off to stick with an american made mower.
  6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Im curious to know how durable they are. From the looks of them you could get one good season out of them.
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Red Hawk Holds the Dubious Distinction of Being the Cheapest Commercial Mowers in North America....They Should Sell Boatloads.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

My guess is they will last just as long as any other commercial mower.

You guys need to get over the "china syndrome"
    They are kicking our butts in manufacturing.
  9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I agree with you. I wouldn't knock anything until proven one way or the other. Just because it doesn't look as "heavy duty" or whatever doesn't mean it's inferior. Looks can be very deceiving, heck, look at the Cub Cadet Tank...that thing looks like someone put it together in their garage...but it's a dang good mower according to members here that have used them. My Snapper Fastback Pro is the same way, I ruled it out many times because of it's appearance. But after demoing many other brands I kept going back to it because of performance, finally bit the bullet on one and have been very happy with it.

I try to buy American as much as I possibly can, but sometimes it makes sense (or business sense) to look at other options. When you are in business for yourself you have to look at all your options IMO.

10. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Yeah we could start the whole, how much content of your american made car or truck is american thread but I am to exhausted from yesterday and today to go there.