Calling Cub/Lesco ZTR owners (leaf related)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have to say... in my opinion the weakest performance point of the Command Cut deck is it's ability to chop leaves.

Not that it does a terrible job, but it's the only thing I can think of that it does not do better than every other deck I know of....

It doesn't make any logical sense to me either. I mean this deck produces the finest discharge grass clippings I have seen. Yet somehow leaves seem to defy it a bit.

I bet it is related to how it chops grass clippings so finely, yet never clogs the deck up. Something about flow... but I can't put my finger on it...

It seems to do maybe it's best side discharging with gator blades, and does a good job if I have time to run over everything 2 passes or more and have sufficient turf to hide the confetti...

Add the mulch kit and the dust blowout is near unbearable...

With the mulch kit and OEM mulching blades... those blades just cycle too fast to make the leaves just disappear in one pass.

I have a few more ideas up my sleve to try... but past that, I'm wondering how the rest of you guys are setting up for leaves??????????

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got 2-mowers one with a bagger and one without. The tank does not have a bagger or a mulch plate but I can drag a sweeper behind it. The sweeper does a good job of picking up the leaves and pine needles . I blow the leaves and needles into wind rows and sweep them up.

I have an older Murray 42" with a triple bagger and it does a pretty good job of sucking them up. Pine needles will clog the tube up if there are a lot of them covering the ground.

One thing I haven't tried with the Tank is a mulch plate. Wouldn't be hard at all on to make one to cover the opening . Chop up the leaves and let them drop down below the deck and sweep them up with the sweeper.

The problem with a sweeper is not dumping the leaves but if your not going to leave them in a corner etc. they have to be loaded and hauled off. Loading them into a leaf box on a trailer is the problem if a person has no vacuum.

Nosmo

3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Come on Lesco/Cub owners let's give Envy some ideas. He always is willing to help out.

Nosmo

4. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an ocdc on my tank and just put the cover down and mulch the leaves up. Go over the leaves a couple of times and they get shredded up pretty good. If you discharge them it doesn't do as good of a job.

5. Envy Lawn Service

All good ideas there... except the size of most of my leaf work would make them seem like going to a gravel pit with a shovel... lol...

To some extent, this is why I do not generally offer "haul-away" leaf services. Some of them could fill a semi trailer in a single weekly visit when the leaves really start coming down. So mulching them into the turf is especially important for more reasons than one.

Speaking of the 42" Murray, man you would not believe what that thing can do in a single pass if you set it up to mulch. I wonder if I have pictures of that somewhere, hummmmmm

6. Envy Lawn Service

Do you use the factory OCDC?

Either way, what blades do you use with it?

7. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i have got a 60 tank with a 27 koler and i think it dose a great job. the only thing i dont like about mine is the pumps in reverse. they are slow and not real responsive. i got a buddy thats got a new predator pro bobcat and that thing will do circles around mine. willie

8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Envy: I have a 52Toro pro line. To grind leaves I use Toro Atomic blades and

in the holes for the chute bracket I put 5/16" bolts about an 1 to 1 1/2 long.

This helps keep the leaves under the deck. I do the same with my Scag

for grass I put the head under the deck. For leaves I put the head on top.

This and gators work well. Ed

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the my Tank does about as good as job as any other mower w/o a bagger. The mulch kit I only use in the summer on a few yards where I don't take much off but there's no way I would use it with the leafs. I'd just be bulldozing with the mower rather then mulching them up. Best way for the tank for me has been to just aim towards the center until it's about 2 passes wide, then go shoot one side one way and the other side the other way. Basically just mowing the yard twice. Gator blades are a must too. OCDC work ok but usually I get alot of blowout and tons of dust. Maybe next season I'll drop the $2300 on a bagger for my Gravely.

10. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

take out the stop tabs, the "L" shaped brackets that restrict the movement of the control arms in the reverse position, this will give you a lot more reverse