1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

calling in sick

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 30, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, here i am, sick as a dog, no one to help me, and 20 lawns to finish between sat and sunday with monday being a holiday they all should be done. if by chance u guys cant make it to a job, do u call the customer and tell them u r ill, or just show up when u r well?
  2. Just call them an let them know that you are sick and will be there as soon as you are well. That's what I do. Most will understand and wish you a speedy recovery. After all, it is just lawn service. Those that do not understand I just cross off my list. After all, getting customers is the easy part of this business. Doing the work is the hard part.
  3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

#1 thing i've found is communication.

It's a holiday weekend. Call them so they know what to expect.

Some may have picnics or something so if you feel better, do them first thing sunday. Or else maybe they'll cut their own, but at least you're not a "no-call, no-show" kinda deal.

The ones that aren't having picnics maybe you can cut on Monday so you're not too far behind. I know it rained in the last couple of days.

feel better,
  4. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

bad luck man I feel for you. My advice would be call and tell your customers where your at. It may be tough for them to take but once they get over the initial shock, Most of them will appreciate the call. It has been my experiance most people would rather have bad news than no news at all.
    Good Luck
  5. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I ran into the same problem about a month ago. I came down with the flu and couldn't get out of bed for over 3 days. I called up my customers to let them know and most of them were very happy I took the time to call them while I was ill. I told most of them that although I could have a guy come out and take care of them if they "really" need it, but I would rather wait until I was better so I could ensure they received the same quality service they were used to. Most just asked me to notify them of my revised schedule when I was feeling better.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if I told my bread and butter folks that too bad, I wasn't feeling particularly chipper this AM and not to worry I'd catch them next week, there is not much chance I'd survive (financially).

this is a holiday weekend. people have packed this place. aint none of them going to stand for a cruddy looking place because I couldn't make it.

that's just the way it is.

7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Ask them if they can hold off till next week (alot like it done before the holidays). I usually tell them my situation, and most if not all understand.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if im unable to even call ,id ask my wife to call and just take what comes. id be alrite with most o my customers.this hasnt happened in a while [thank god].
    if im clear headed enough to work a phone,i can run a mower. might not do my best wk tho.theys always exception ,bone breaks an such.
    my daddy worked 30 yrs in a cotton mill with one day out. he told me one time. he was like that because he figured he might like that day skipped ,so much ,it might become a habit. hope u get feelin better bobby.
  9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't find someone to cover for you ... then suck it up and get it done. After all you have Monday to rest up and feel better.

J/K In all reality, I'm sure that you're clients know you won't be pullin' a Big Daddy Graham (You gotta Call In Sick), and that you must be very much under the weather to take a day or two off. Get some rest and get back to work as soon as you can. If you have a LCO you can trust in your area, see if they can help you out this time. WE on occasion have helped others, or gotten help in return.

Feel Better

10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Never had that problem, that's one thing good about having "crews".