Calling it off

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by parkeeee, Oct 12, 2006.

1. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

Looking around today, not much is growing, leaves are not piled up. I called off tomorrow's accounts. First one I called said "you know what you're doing." Second one said "It doesn't look like it needs cutting."

I'll get some stuff done around the house. I could have went out, sliced a little off the top, made a few bucks, but I think that I am further ahead with the customers and will be further ahead with my bride.
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Thats why I don't like this time of year. Your are inbetween the seasons. You just know people have had enough of giving you money lol and their grass is tired. I just keep on showing up until they tell me to stop.
  3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

That's rather capitalistic of you Charles!:laugh: :laugh: I thought you hated that kind of greed?:confused:
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Now if I ever got rich during the summer then it would be greedy. Now for Rodfather, MMlawn, and Gamba it would be greedy:laugh:
  5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I say keep cutting them....Most of my lawns have hit the point of slow growth....but I am going to keep hitting them until Mid Nov.....Each cut I will lower the deck one notch so that gives me at least 3 to 4 more visits per account, plus 2 weed control visits, 2 leaf blowing visits, (rye grass seeding)***for all my high end accounts....keeps the grass green, and keeps me working through the slow months....I old trick I learned from a all you guys that are cutting bermuda grass, this is a great way to earn a few bucks during the off season.....and it will also help you acquire new accounts because they will be wanting to know what you are doing to keep the grass green during the winter.....its blows a lot of people away......Honestly, there is really no off season for us....just a slow period....
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

FWIW Charles, I wouldn't have it any other way...cha-ching! :clapping:
  7. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

here we don't slow down as much as you guys back east , no snow no freezing just a little rain but not to much all year long no slow season it may get alittle wet in the next few monthes but no big deal
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do that all the time, I don't call nobody anymore. :laugh:

But I am hoping for a break, I have been so busy that if it keeps up, I'll have a record month (and I mean the busiest month ever, not the busiest October), by monday I will already have deposited the entire month's anticipated gross lol.