Calling it quits!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I just want to thank everyone on lawnsite for their help and opinions for the last couple of years It looks as though I am going out of business! There are several factors contributing to this.

1. The rates here are too low as for what people will pay. Average rates here $25 per hour. $15 minimum. for 30 minute lawn.

2. There are only a few premium residential properties and with 8 LCO's and 3 landscapers fighting for them it is tough to retain them as for the ever popular price wars.

3. The number of commercial properties here is only around 30 and most are small.

4. Costs too high, insurance alone is running $3400 per year.

5. Collection problems on the few commercial properties I do have.

6. I can't seem to compete on the commercial properties as large companies are low balling them to get them and they still make money.

Example. I budded one property as follows

29000 sq. ft. lawn area 5100 linear feet trimming weekly, fertilizer x 4 per year, total weed control on 12000 sq ft of beds and rock areas, all pruning and trimming on 180 shrubs and trees. As well as having another company spray all lawn areas 3 times a year for broadleaf. All lawn must be bagged, This includes picking up trash and debris as well as blowing off all parking areas and walkways weekly year round, Irrigation system maintenance and the first 5 damaged heads replaced as part of the contract. This also is for leaf removal and there is nothing that is grounds related that is not included. This is an apartment complex.

My bid $725 per month on 12 months

The guys that got it bidded the same thing at $525 per month on 12 months.

That is just one example. Can't compete so I have to find another way to attempt to make a living. Plain and simple!!!

I may still be around on Lawnsite but probably not much longer a LCO

Farewell to all and Best of Luck !

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to hear about the bad situation out there. Good luck in the future whatever you decide to do.

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry it's not working out. Good luck with what ever you do.

4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you stuck in that town with commitments or could you move to a bigger city close by and work a full time job while rebuilding your lawn business. Maybe just do it part time while working a job

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Turfdancer,
    Good luck in your future endeavors. Don't give up because one thing does not work out.Find something else and make it thrive.
    best wishes.

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf Dancer, Know what you are talking about. Hope your new endeavers work out for you. Stop in and let us know how things are going.

Best of Luck
    Rhett

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that Turf Dancer. Heck, If its what you love doing, move out here (Southern Indiana area). Homes going in all over the place and lots of business and apparments. Dont know where these people are getting all the money.
    Good luck with whatever you go with and keep visiting with us.:drinkup:

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

is relocation an option? perhaps just a few miles, or a couple hundred miles. All it takes is a nice little suburbia to make a killin.

9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf Dancer, I'm in the exact same boat, live in a large coastal town based on tourism, not much commercial of any size, not much industry, and a scrub on every corner low balling you when they can, and the domestics are so tight, if I mowed for free that would still not be good enough...weird.

If I mis this upcoming big prison contract, I will be doing what I have been considering for awhile, move on, we are in a scary drought over here which doesn't help.

They say those guys going around recycling cooking oil at pubs, take aways etc do well, you have Filtafry over there, I'm looking at them here, good set up, great profits.

Take care,

Tony.

10. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

NEVER GIVE UP, just keep going!