Calling restorob toro 15 hp kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jeffex, May 26, 2006.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2001 48 gear drive toro proline 15 hp kohler command pro that I store in my shed as a backup mower and I cut my lawn with it. I filled it last night and went to cut this eve. it started fine and I made a pass on the flat about 60 ft. and turned up hill and left to make a pass back but now th mower was on a hill with the chute side facing up hill and carb to the down side. 3/4 of the way the mower seemed to run like it was on choke. I put it on the flat and the mower would not start and then It became to hard to pull . I then noticed gas comming out of the carb. I took off the air cleaner and the carb was overflowing with gas. I took a rag to soak out the gas and am waiting for it to dry out to see if it will start. the mower will pull now but it is still too flooded to start. Any idea what caused this flooding. The mower was not warmed up but just a minute before I started to cut[thunderstorm approaching]. I did have the fuel flow valve on while in storage . this mower is used 1-2 times a week. thanks for any help

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I know Rob will have an answer soon. It sounds to me that the needle in the carb has stuck open and letting more fuel than the engine can burn into the cyl. Im no expert, I know just enough to get by with..........and I still look to Rob for advice..... alot

wayne

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you had some trash in the tank or carb. and when you went on the slope it got under the float needle valve and it stuck open and caused it to flood.
    The fix, Tear down the carb. and clean with carb. & choke cleaner re-assemble, Clean tank out and flush fuel lines and replace the fuel filter. Also check the oil for fuel contamination and change if so. And it's not a bad idea to store the unit with the fuel off.

Good Luck

4. jeffex

thanks grass cuttin' fool, Thanks restorob!!!!! I was wondering if the fuel had flooded the cylnder and would pass through to the oil. I'll clean the carb and change the oil before I try and start it again. I'll have to get a new filter and I found some junk in the bottom of the can I filled it from when I poured it into a glass

5. jeffex

found a big piece of junk in the float bowl. I cleaned everything out . the gas filter was dirty too so I cleaned it out[parts stores closed] just to try and start the mower to see if it would start and run. No luck . it would start , run poorly then start to backfire through the carb and shut off. I removed the float bowl cover and checked to see if I could manually push the float up and shut off the flow of gas and the valve stopped the gas flow. I drained the gas tank and looked for junk in their but only a speck or two of dirt. Could the flood of gas gone into the cyl. and caused more severe problems. I removed the spark plug to check for flooding and other than being dirty[black soot] I cleaned it and re-installed it.

6. Restrorob

Replace the plug and see what happens, Once fouled (sooted) it is bad.

7. jeffex

bad day for getting NEW parts but I tried another plug from another w/b of the same model. same problem only slightly better firing. I did not totally remove the carb from the motor . I just exposed the choke plate and ran carb cleaner through the fuel lines and up under the float bowl. Could it have been the ignition module that failed ????

8. Restrorob

I believe if the module were bad it would not start at all, I would suggest removing the carb. strip it down and spray every little passage you see especially the main jet and give that one more try.