CALLING Ric.......

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Frontier-Lawn, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i when into the kitchen today, and i now have Pharaoh ants how do i get rid of them?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ric said to send the check before any further info will be given. He also said to send it to me, so pm and I'll send you the address on where to send the cashiers checks

3. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Being licensed in this area I just want to make sure you know what you're dealing with. Pharaoh's ants are small, yellowish brown to honey-coloured ants about 1/16th of an inch long( 1.0-1.5 mm). Antennae consist of 13 segments and a club with three segments. There will be TWO nodes on the petiole. They are known to carry several bacteria including Streptococcus, Pseudomonas, and Staphylococcus on it's body. These ants have multiple queens and if a nest is disturbed they will fragment or "bud" moving throughout the structure. An Army hospital had a P.ant problem on the first floor and sprayed. Within 7 weeks it was a severe problem on ALL 17 floors of the hospital. They found ants in the bandages of the wounds and there was a bad instance of infections. The ONLY way to combat p.ants is with slow acting baits and right now they'll be attracted to fats and protein based baits. Sweet baits might be taken but in smaller amounts. Abamectin and Fipronil are good baits. Stay away from permetrin and cyfluthrin granules because these are actually contact insecticides that will cause the colony to splinter.

4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

rite now i have been smashing them with my thumb if a see one

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

F Lawn
    That's very dangerous .
    They are very poisonous.
    The body fluid form one ant can make 100 people go blind .

Garth , howdo you expect any one to see well enough to ID one of those .
    I mean , I've a VERY good camera for that stuff , most floks don't .

Garth , here's one for ya .
    I saw rodent turds outside and at night , when I put a flash light on 'em , these little whitish long bugs took off .
    They were on the turds .
    What were they????????????????????
    I could not geta photo , they would not hang around long enough

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Air Head

Get a life.

Dave

Garth has given you a lot of information about Pharaoh ants and the advice to use baits. Most hardware stores sell a bait called Taro Ants Bait. The real trick to using Ant bait is two fold.

1st to place those on Pheromone trails (Trail made by a smell) or where the worker ants will find the bait quickly. By watching them you can best decide where to place these bait with out distributing their life cycle. Look all over the house not just in the kitchen and bathroom where water is available. Place baits every where you see ants. Taro Ant Bait is a liquid and is best placed on small pieces of paper to make it easy to clean up. Type of baits used a placement is what professional pest control is all about and experience becomes a excellence teacher once you have the basic life cycle of each species learned. In the case of General Household Pest Control we are paid for what we know more than what we do.

2nd is waiting for the Slow acting insecticide in the Bait to goes through the food chain to the Queen or Queens in the case of Pharaoh Ants. we call Multiply Queen Colonies Polygyne, and single Queen Colonies Monogyne. Most Ants can not digest solid food and will carry it back to the colony for the lava to digest. The Lava excrete the food and that honeydew is fed to the Queen or Queens. Liquid forms of food are easier for worker ants to carry in their stomach and are therefore the food of preference. It is passed from ant by Regurgitate it and passing it to other colony members including the lava and then to the Queen or Queens in the form of Honeydew. All of this takes time. An Experienced Pest Control Tech will place baits and then spray repellents in areas where the ants are more likely to be seen by the home owner. I suggest you not try to spray repellents but accept the time factor. It can take 4 weeks to get total control. If you only get half a kill then budding can occur and you will be paying me big bucks to make a trip to Venice.

BTW Anyone for Chocolate Covered Ants after reading the above??

7. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Ric great answer try addind a little water to the Terro to much A.I will cause the colonys to bud or split off. Before the days of Maxforce we used Terro and water at a 50-50 ratio it takes a little longer but worth the wait. Hope this helps a little.

8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric
    I am a turd expert !
    Really

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tim

I like the Maxiforce Gel w/ Fiponil my self. But knew Terro Baits which I misspelled was easy to find. I never used it a lot and glad to learn about the 50-50. I am not a real sharp GHP tech to be honest. I do very little of it.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Air Head

Sometimes wonder which one of us is the bigger Turd??:D