Calling up businesses

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Whats a good way to approach companies by phone without coming off as a telemarketer? What do you guys use or do you go after businesses with a different approach?
  2. gmlcinc

gmlcinc LawnSite Member

I have never tried cold calling businesses, but I have tried mailing. Didn't have great results with that, though. I think the best way is approach the targeted customers in person, then they can't ignore you. However, if you use this approach you should definitely look professional and be prepared to answer some questions. Just be careful no to solicit to res. customers as you may need a permit.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

In your greeting, let then KNOW that you are the owner...not just some schmuck in a cubicle. (Don't mention the second part,...just a figure of speech).
  4. The landscaper

If you were to call and ask for owner or manager that would probably come off as being a telemarketer right?

I'm not going to be selling them much over the phone. Basically just trying to get a meeting with them to come out and analyze there property.
  5. The landscaper

Someone must have a good line to get in or a pitch for these guys.
  6. cmfpi

cmfpi LawnSite Member
    from 41011

How I do it is I call up the business and explain who you are and ask to talk to the property manager. That's the most honest approach. If you get a voicemail just leave your information. That's how I do it.
  7. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

I agree with this 100%:clapping:
  8. mwoltje

mwoltje LawnSite Member

I just call up the businesses and tell them who i am and i was wondering who i need to talk to about bidding this years lawn care. It has worked really well so far. Last week i called twenty apartments and i now have twelve to bid next week. thanks.
  9. The landscaper

We'll see how that works out for me on Monday. Good luck with all the apartments.
  10. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Just call and ask if they are accepting bids. If they are then go out and assess the property yourself. If you have questions about property line or anything just go in and ask. It's not that big of a deal. Most property managers don't have time to meet you to go over the property, some will some won't. They usually just get their bids faxed to them anyway. It's not usually as big of a priority for them as it is for us. Which kinda sucks.