Calls from clients when not working?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

When your not working for whatever reason and the cell rings and it's a customer, do you answer? I got 3 calls yesterday from a guy I do work for but I was having a little me time, (fishing) Even though I work for them, I feel if I'm busy doing other things I have no obligation to answer the phone if I'm not working. Any thoughts?;)

2. qualitylawncarefresno

qualitylawncarefresno LawnSite Member

Nothing Wrong With That. They Can Always Leave A Message.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Brings up the phrase-- "this phone is for my convenience, not anybody else's"

Your call but if it was during business hours it would be best to answer and address concerns. After hours, leave a mess.
    My real estate phone even says that if this call is after 8PM I will return the call tomorrow.

4. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

business line. Having said this, if the number isn't in my called ID or I don't recognize it after hours, I don't answer.

As for the weekends, depending on the time and what the hesk I am doing, I will or will not answer.

5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't voicemail wonderful!

6. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately I am still in the same boat as many of you and my cell phone dubs as my business line. If it's past 6:00 I usually won't answer. 95% of the time they leave a msg!

However.... a funny story. A few years ago when I started the business I was still getting used to the whole personal vs. business calls on my cell phone. One night I was out with the boys drinking. Around midnight my phone begins ringing and I don't recognize the number on the ID. I was assuming it was probably a friend calling from someone else's phone.

Impulsively, I tell my friend to answer it since I don't know who it is.

Buddy: Hello?
    Lady: Oh Hi I wasn't expecting to get somebody on the phone.
    Me: (Guys turn down the music it's a business call!!!!!!!!!)
    Buddy: Oh yes we'll we just finished working for the day.
    Lady: Wow you guys must be hard workers, I'm looking for a snowplowing estimate.
    Buddy: Let me transfer you to Zach he deals with estimates
    (he hands me the phone)

Etc...... man that was a laugh.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Im deaf... all calls go to voice mail. My wife does the voice mail when she can. I got most of my clients trained. They text me or email my PDA. You would be surprised at how accepting people are to this.

I read lips really well in person for the most part and I talk perfectly still (only deaf 6 years)

Only calls i miss is from mexicans wanting to work.. They get the company cell off the trucks

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yes voicemail is great, and it's there for a reason.

You can also assign a particular ringtone to family and friends, so if you don't hear that ringtone you'll know it's a business call.

9. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I have a business 800# that transfers to my cell, push 1 to send caller to voice mail 2 to accept. I sent this guy to voice mail 2 times the third time he hangs up before saying anything. I can call in in listen to my messages when I'm on the road but I'm not sure my pass word to access it that way. Usually I check it through my pc. I use Ringcentral as my service. It's nice. Has music when on hold... Just the fact that he can leave one message and I will check it when I get the time. Don't keep calling. Not a big deal. I have to list my hours of operation on my cards and on my contracts.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I answer it if I feel like it, literally, whether during on or off hours, if I'm in the mood I take it, if I'm not in the mood I know way better than to. The other thing I do a lot is to leave the cell phone someplace such as if I go to a restaurant the phone stays in the car, so it is the easy way of I do not let my dinner be disturbed.

yup, been doing it like that for some time, you are the boss, this is your boat, so drive it like you pwn it.