1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Calsense and MP Rotary Nozzles

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LawnMastersTx, Jan 13, 2012.

1. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

Its been a while since I have had time to get back on the site. Just finished the largest project that I have ever been apart of.

102 Calsense Controllers (Retrofit)
    104 Flow sensors and master valves
    18,000 MP Rotary Nozzles (Retrofit)
    112 zone system (New)

I do not have permission, yet, to say the location of this project.

Bragging over with, here are some pics :dancing:

Calsense has been easy to learn and work with using their controllers and central system. We have 3 rain buckets and 2 ET sensors around the location. The rain buckets and ET's are linked to the controllers that surround the system. All of the controllers use flow sensors and master valves.

I could come in the morning and look at a GIS map of the campus, it will change the controller icons to another color based on problems that occurred over the night. Then I could print out this alert and go find and fix the problem. I drooled all over the keyboard.......

I am glad I was apart of this project, and I can not wait to be able to share all the photos and details. Nothing beats putting in water saving measures during the worst drought in Texas.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

City water?
  3. LawnMastersTx

City water as of right now. Their goal is to go to reclaimed water, but the city requirement makes using that cost ineffective.

Reclaimed water - all pipes, and i mean ALL lines that cross fresh water lines have to be in a sleeve 10ft on either side of the connection. All hose bibs on the build have to have RPZ. A test has to be done one month before connection and then 4 test with dye to ensure no cross contamination after installation.
  4. Where is the one with the row of rectangular valve boxes? I thought that was a cool shot. Also show the pic of what controller got replaced and what did you think of the CALSENSE remote?
  5. LawnMastersTx

We pulled out Rain Birds, Hunter and Rain Master. Mostly Rain Bird though, but a few nice Rain Masters.

The remotes were ok......... Now they are nice seeing the information like flow rate, amps, and a description of the zone, but i was not impressed with the limited distance of them.

Instead of the remote, I like the Ipad :weightlifter: You may not be able to directly link into a controller with an ipad, but you can gain control of the computer that monitors the controllers and make changes there.

ADH Before.jpg

Image 2.jpg
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

that's enough boxes for 4,000 zones :p
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Veery nice! So the Calsense remote does not have the range?
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

WTF? Who buried those things? Was that before you showed up? VBs should be at a level that they can be mowed directly over.
  9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the install guy's brother was the string trimmer maintenance man.
  10. LawnMastersTx

If you do not have anything between you and the controller, it will go for a ways. If there is a building, then it can be a pain. You can add a whip antenna and that will help a lot.

We didnt install the tombstone area, but it was a cool pic. I could not pass it up. I have another one of a pit with 32 valves installed that are hanging in the air.

Some crazy stuff, but I am impressed with Calsense and the reports/control that can be had over the system.