Came across this article today...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Jan 16, 2012.

1. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Just received an "invoice" from a customer who (i guess) we cut their (home owner installed) power line to their shed. Bill was for just above $460.

So I typed into google "owning your own business sucks," and this is what popped up.

I figured this would get a few "dang that is true" statements from the guys who own their own businesses on here.

It is January and I am already beating my head on my desk.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/business/32-reasons-why-having-a-business-sucks/

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Did they contact you to check on or fix the wiring problem? Do you have a clause about personal utilities? Tell 'em to stick it.

Great article, on a night that I am fighting with my girlfriend as we work on the other business that we own. She and I do NOT work well together in business.

3. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Well that's discouraging for a new business owner....haha, I will just pretend I didn't read that....

Also I hope you didn't pay that bill!!!

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Sadly.... just about all of the things on that list are true..... But hey.... I do this because I love to do it.... not because I'm under any delusion that I'll get rich doing it.

5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Was it installed by a licensed electrician? Was the power line rated for "direct" bury? Was it buried in accordance to NEC and State or local code? Where you consulted before the repair? Did you have an opportunity to perform the repair? Is this a long term customer?

If he's a one time wonder, I'd tell him to take a hike (in a diplomatic way). I'd be hard pressed to pay invoices for unsubstantiated repairs from anybody.

I still prefer to be my own boss than to have some pencil necked geek stand over me to second guess and criticize.

6. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I contacted them to set up a meeting to go over the invoice.

I have a clause in the contract that covers this, BUT only logical people will understand that. They told me there was a underground wire installed in the back yard, which we marked and found, but they did not tell me about the one in the front.

I am probably going to end up splitting the bill with them so that they do not get online and rip me a new one.

7. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Probably best; one unhappy client can hurt you for a long time. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

This is more like a Mexican Victory; you have some important body parts shot off, but you're still alive.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

DUDE, 521/pro-800 :drinkup:521/pro800 :drinkup:521/pro-800 :drinkup:521/pro-800:drinkup:

over and over til you get it right.

you are one of the few guys here that i thought always pre-located.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If he didn't know it was there, how would he know it would need locating?

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Locator's intuition.