came down on price, now im real sorry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 17, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what a terrible mistake i made. at the start of the season, had a guy call for full maint. i gave him a price per month, he said "WHAT", thats too much, we haggled about it, i was dumb enough to lower it, alot. i figured ok, its right in the middle of my service area, ill save on driving time. well, not only is it not enough money, but the guy is always asking for free extras, and has the balls to ask for the cut to be done on fridays. friday is a high demand day and is reserved for my best customers. he actually saw some dandelions in the yard, and decided to buy a bottle of roundup, unscrew the top and pour the stuff on the pretty yellow flowers(and they made me get a chemical licence) . now he thinks i should bring in top siol and seed and repair the lawn for free cus its my fault the dandelions were there. not only am i not doing the seeding, i dont want to cut the lawn anymore, i am doing it much too cheap. we r under contract for the season, i want out, what can i do? how many of u guys would finish out the season?

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Make your self happy cut him loose.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Your contract is virtually worthless anyway because who's going to go to court to try and enforce a residential lawn service contract. Dump the dude.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

One thing I have always noticed....the people who beat you down on the price are the people who expect the most :mad: Not only that,for some reason, they seem to cost you money. You are much more likely to have to repair something in a cheap yard than you are an expensive. Hard to explain, but thats the way they seem to go.

All I can say is cut it loose, soon.

5. dhicks

dhicks Member

Drop him... Now. He can always find a new LCO and you can find a new account.

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Keith hit the nail right on the head. The people that are out there looking for price instead of service ALWAYS demand extra services free. I would write a nice and stern letter telling him that all services redered besides what was sepcified in the contract are to be charged as such. I would also tell him that it was not specified in the contract on when to do maintenance (if that is true).

If all fails, I would politely tell him he needs to find another LCO and if he would agree to distinguish this agrrements asap.

7. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

O.K you made a mistake that I'm sure you'll never do again seeing what headaches it's caused. NEVER drop your price without a change in the specs. Just drop the guy and move on!

8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I wouldn't just drop the guy. I would do it in a proffessional way. This guy will tell other people (neighbors, friends, family, etc.). He will maybe even say nasty things that aren't even entirely true. Do it in such a way, as to make yourself a professional and not him.

9. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

I hate to drop anyone, I hear them saying "yeah, he just stopped mowing our yard, no notice or anything!" to everyone that they know (potential clients) In this case I would prob. just keep doing everything that the contract said I would do to the best of my ability, and not waste anymore time than nec. on this property! Stop talking to him, just collect your money and move on in the hopes that he will eventually drop you!! If you want an aggresive approach, Tell him "look I have already given you one hell of a deal on our monthly service, and now you want all these extras for nothing, do you think that I should pay YOU for the honor of maintaining your lawn?

10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

DROP HIM!!!

Unless you're doing sub-par work, it doesn't matter what he might say to your other clients, YOUR work for them is what everyone sees and that's all that will matter to them. Even if you just stop showing up I'll bet he'll know why based on what you've said, he has taken advantage of you and is exploiting the situation since you agreed to cut your price.