Camera for Jobsites

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Trying to rationalize the purchase of a Digital Camera. Of course this could be a tax right off if used for the Biz, so my question is what business use do you use your camera for in the course of a month. (And taking photos for LS does not qualify)!

Im thinking before and after photos of installs? What else?

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i use mine for taking all of the "yard of the month"signs that keep popping up on my accounts 3 this month great for keeping fresh material on a web site
  3. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

you can take pictures of the job site, enter it onto a landscape program, and do the work on computer before you actually do the work to see how it is going to work
  4. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Taking photos for lawnsite could qualify. It might fit under a professional organization. So the pictures that you take are being used for that purpose. Sounds deductible to me.
  5. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

no, what i meant was that i take pictures of the site we are going to do, enter it on my computer, pull up my landscaping program, then put the wall up, patio, plant, water garden or any thing else being requested. that way i can see what i will build before i build it,
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Everything. Get one and you will not look back.
  7. Finished work for sales portfolio

Pics of equipment for insurance

for posting to your web site

for flyers/brochures

I've been thinking about using photos and doing on line estimates to sell additional services-just thinking right now havent worked out presentation yet. might not appeal to everybody, but what does.
  8. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Pictures of new accounts before you start work. Before and after pictures can come in handy. They are easy to store for retrieval.
  9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

You could also take pictures of your accounts and catalog them. Need to send a crew out to trim something or remove something, etc., pull up a picture of exactly where and what they'll be working on when you send them out. Print them out and circle it for specific directions for those that aren't so good with the written or verbal form of communications.

We have an Access database for customer info. We're adding a tab for customer pictures so that overtime I can document with pictures the work that we've done or just have general site shots. That way when a customer calls and says... "You know that spot between my house and the fence on the left... the plant right next to the ....." I can pull up the picture while on the phone and not have to make a separate trip out to the house. I won't do it for all of the houses, but being able to print out a picture to send with the crew or be able to look back at annual plantings in various beds from different seasons will help the next year when we're either selling annuals again to change colors/design or just go with the same thing.

Buy the camera and have fun with it. You'll find a million and one uses.

One last idea... if you're tired of leaving messages for customers and playing phone tag, send them an email with the picture of something you need information on - and then they can respond in kind. Easier for them see the picture as well.
  10. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I take pics of my accounts front backs and sides. I then store them in the clients files on the computer. If they have a question about an area or want me to imagine a possible project I can pull up the photos and look at them while I talk to them on the phone. I then have a better Idea what they want before I go out to the property to talk in person. Saves a little time plus I have alternate suggestions ready for them.

I also keep photos as proof of all my equipment along with serial #'s for insurance reasons.

Some lawns I have before and after photos. I will pull them out and e-mail them to a client so they can see improvements. They love that!

I have used my camera on the scene after a traffic accident and it helped me collect from the insurance company without taking them to court!

Digital cameras are a must in business now days.:D :D