1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Can 21" only operators be professionals?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by John_99_2007, Jun 1, 2007.

1. John_99_2007

John_99_2007 LawnSite Member

Do you guys think it is possible to start a business with only 21" mowers?

I know a larger machine would pay off in productivity. But if I'm willing to take the extra time and put out the extra effort, can a 21" produce pro results.

Main questions:

1. Do 21" stripes look bad to a customer, or is the overall quality of cut the main factor? I would still complete all jobs with professional quality edging, trimming, and clean-up.

2. Do any customers or potential customers ever comment about you having only small equipment? Are they only interested why or do they have major concerns?

Thank in advance for any comments. My biggest concern is to provide quality service while building a business.

2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

Yup. call it budget mowing!

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

John ....one of the biggest companies that used to post on lawnsite built his entire business around 21" mowers. And there are getting to be more and more customers that just won't accept the big riding machines on their property. Not talking about acre lots but normal urban yards in Texas. And making marks in the grass isn't much of a deal in Texas...unless they are the big ugly tire marks that never go away and those the customer don't like.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Absolutely!! Go for it! I think it could be VERY profitable if done right.

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Always remember you have to start somewhere and build from there. Id only focus on smaller yards until you build up enough until you can get a walk behind or rider

6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

My first day with a 36 today and I left turning marks ( the ground is saturated) I l left scalps I raised my axles twice today, lol. Man, what I'm wondering is can a 36" mower guy be a pro? My lines today were very bad to non existent. But man can that thing cut.

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

LOL!! You'll get used to it. It takes a little time.

8. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you can, I have a few that only wants 21" on their property. They pay extra for the time it takes and that would be my only concern in "not" getting a bigger mower. That is the time you will be surprised on how a 54" mower or even a 48 would take less time. Budget baby, budget. Good luck youll do fine

9. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i only use 21's and i'm doing fine...only been in business for about 4 months and i've already met my goal for the entire season (20 weekly clients)...all i did was a good quality job every time....no marks...left good lines...perfect edges...

personally i believe you make your money on your edging...if your edging looks like crap then you will get crap jobs...

just my .02

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

All that walking will catch up to you in the long run, only down side I can see.