1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can a 1500/zone system be in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jun 26, 2007.

1. We've all had education and fun with ML's and HR's 1500/zone system. But my question is are their people in your neighborhood who would pay for a great sprinkler system? I know here in DFW Mike and Hank could keep their business model and price. We have people I dare say many that are looking for great contractors in any field and love bragging about what their guy did. I install tree zones for an arborist that I promise you is making a fortune. When I asked him if he needed a price he laughed and said "make sure I can brag about you". For me being great at service is a piece of cake. Trying to be great at installs even though I had the knowledge was not something I could pull off because I didn't have the whatever it is that allowed me to believe i deserved top dollar. I realize not all areas support those kind of numbers but I'm curious how many contractors see that potential in their area and just can't seem to pull it off?
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What a great post, 'tails..it sums up the idea I had twenty five years ago:
    "If I build it...& service it..& they brag at the cocktail party about "expensive"
    me, the other quote is "he always came back to get us started up & showed
    up within 15 minutes if we'd a problem" counts big in the how to get the site
    for life. "Long after the price is forgotten, the quality is remembered".:)
  3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately that braggin ain't done here. I work close to Philadelphia, home of our "friends" the thrifty Quakers. There is a saying a friend and his money are not soon parted. And I don't care if your were born and raised here or moved here, it's a cheapo mentality.

There are occasional exceptions. Some folks that have moved here from the mid west have a healthy outlook that allows to judge character and value thereby making sound buying decisions.

Folks here can't find me in the yellow pages when they want to install a system but readily find me when they have a screwed up system bought at a bargain price.
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Same here. So many of the systems we go to are bad design - cheap price. Went to one yesterday that was 4 zones - should have been 8. House next door has 8 rotors on one zone, 3 on another. A lot of the redesign prices I give are close to or more than the original install. But these two examples, and many others, are systems people inherit when they buy the house.