can a belt drive WB pull this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RLS24, Oct 25, 2008.

1. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Lesco 48" WB. its belt drive. I want to get one of those stand-on style sulkys for it. Now, I'm about 6'2" and 235 lbs, is this all gonna be too much for the WB to pull? its an older model but it was well taken care of and the gear box is fairly new.

2. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

lose some weigh...........you need to be walking.............

3. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

It's 'weight' and 6'2" @235lb. may just be enough to kick your azz!! How many hp is the engine, my 12.5 kawi exmark metro pulls a sulky just fine.

4. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

i made sure he was in a different state....:hammerhead: lmao

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

If it does, it won't for long on anything other than minor slopes.
    the main culprit is the drive belts and their propensity to stretch.
    Should you do decide to use a sulkie, invest in belt dressing.
    And never, ever, change gears on the fly. Those Peerless tranny's have no provision for a gear change if the output shafts are spinning - even slowly.

6. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

Good thing, sounds like a big dude. LOL If a hydro wb will pull it the gear machine should do the same. Not much difference except for smoothness of operation. If your belts are good and adjusted properly I don't see you having any problems, as long as you have the horsepower.

7. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

it has the 12.5 hp Kawi on it. I just put 2 new tires on the back and all new belts so im good to go there.

8. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that doesn't sound like enough power..... I wouldn't bother.

9. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

if its a gear box, no. there not that strong. speaking of heavy, i got a funny story. well while i was on my way to another job i noticed two guys mowing a lawn. one was large the other was skinny. they had a walk behind with no sulky and a ztr. Can anyone guess who was on what mower? The skinny guy was on the wb and the big dude was on the rider. and this guy was huge, hahaha. Ive seen em a number of times before and its the same setup. skinny guy does all the walking. hahaha

10. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Buy them a sulky and see what happens lol....................