Can a business claim dump fees and equipment rentals on taxes?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jaybow, Jan 22, 2011.

1. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Just putting together my papers for taxes and was wondering if anyone knows if a business can claim dump fees and equipment rentals on their taxes? Thanks!

2. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

its a cost to your business so.... YES

3. RHill

RHill LawnSite Member

I agree, if the expenses are legitimate for the operation of your business, they will be deductable

4. jaybow

from Mi

Cool, sounds good. Does anyone else claim them. What other things can a business claim that people might not think of?

5. Gravelyftw

Gravelyftw LawnSite Member

^there you go his response should answer all your questions. You can claim anything and everything that you buy that is a business expense. (your workers snacks/lunches...anything)

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

we all do, they are legitimate business expenses, I dont mean to be a dink but you may want to have an accountant do your taxes. They pay for themselves in tax savings and piece of mind.....oh and their service is a tax right off too.

7. you really need to get someone who knows what they are doing to do your taxes.

8. jaybow

from Mi

Ive had an accountant doing them since I started the business, I've just never asked her so I thought I would post on here. Are you saying I can claim the fee for her doing my taxes? I'm a sole proprietor so I do the business taxes along with my personal taxes. Not monthly or quarterly like LLCs or Corperations.

9. jaybow

from Mi

I have an accountant do them, I just never asked her that.

10. igotdiesel2

igotdiesel2 LawnSite Member

I deduct the fee my accountant charges me to do my taxes. He said to do it so I do it. One thing I do not deduct is my office space in my house. We talked about it and the crap you have to go through is a pain plus he said it throws a huge red flag and I have no desire for a audit. I agree with all having someone who knows taxes is the only way to go. Part of my business owns rental property so it can get a little hairy on taxes. He comes to my home/office with a laptop and a printer and we are all done in 2 or 3 hours. Saving me all kinds of time and money in the process. Best thing I have ever done.-Jason