Can a Deere 757 ZTR pull a lawn roller?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by svajo, Mar 29, 2007.

1. svajo

svajo LawnSite Member

I'm picking up a used John Deere 757 for my 2.5 acre lot. My questions is this: If I add a hitch, can a ZTR effectively pull a 400lb lawn roller? (as shown in below link) I have no doubt the 25hp engine can pull it :weightlifter: , but I wonder if it would put the ZTR off balance and lift the front end off the ground when pulling.

Anyone pull a lawn roller or wagon with their ZTR?

Why you ask? I use the roller to flatten out all the ruts that have been left by people who parked in my yard when it was too wet and the ground was soft. :nono:

http://www.agri-fab.com/lawnrollers.html

Thanks for any help!

2. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

yes, you may have to rig the hitch for it.

3. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Probably will handel it ok, but check with Deere to make sure. You could overheat pumps and cause problems. My Scag Wildcat has so much power I think it could pull 2000 with ease, but they say limit it to 250.

4. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt do it just because I would be afraid it would try lifting the front end of the ground and dig ruts in the yard....Just me talking:rolleyes:

5. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Mine does, and I think it was the same roller unit. I've also pulled lawn sweepers, dethatchers, and aerators

BTW, lifting the front wheels is a non issue. Only hitch pin weight (tongue weight, if you will) will create any downforce. You'll have practically no added tongue weight. You will have to get the mass moving, and that can have some effect, but the hitch height should be fairly close to the wheel motor height, so you should see no real effect. I've noticed nothing.

6. bobcat81

bobcat81 LawnSite Member

It will handle it. I just rolled out 5 yards with mine using a 48 inch 910lbs roller. It works great.

7. svajo

svajo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a try.

8. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

Nice ZTR to risk. You may want to search Craigs list or the paper for an old lawn tractor which does not have a deck or something. You can pick these up for a song and it may be useful in the future for other projects. I don't know how many old lawn tractors I have gotten rid of in the past where the motor was still sound but the deck just gave out.

9. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly why I am keeping my old JD lawn tractor. I even went so far as to clean and repaint the deck and replace a couple of idler pulleys so it would be a good backup. My wife wanted to sell it but I think it is worth more in this role than what we would get for it.

10. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Risk from what?

Rolling resistance, while present, won't be enough to matter, and we've already established there's no practical weight transfer...(his question, you'll recall).

Granted I'm struggling a bit w/the idea of a 900lb roller in a regular commercial use too, but this conversation is about residential use.

And I just assume the good lord gave him enough sense to not try doing hillclimbs w/the thing..