Can A Guy Really Make It?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by unearth888, Feb 7, 2007.

1. unearth888

unearth888 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Can a guy really make it in the lawn care business? By making it I mean, financially stable and making more money than say somebody working in a factory, or somebody industry related such as a superintendent at a golf course.

2. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

I know money is a big reason to do this instead of work for some one else but to me its the freedom of making my own decisions, how hard do I work today, what time do I start/stop, how many days a week I will work. As far as making it in this biz its all in the eye of the beholder. As far as cash all those questions I ask myself have to do with what I need. If I need to make $100 I do $100 (after expenses) worth of work.

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on how big you get. I doubt you'll make more than a golf course s.i. but you could. The freedom is the best part, but I also enjoy the pride of my work and seeing how I can make a Sh#t hole look great.

4. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

absolutely, but you MUST have a business-frame of mind. That's why i'll be taking Marketing and Professional Sales as well as computers and accounting at our local vocational tech campus.

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

It takes patience, hard work, and a driven person to succede in this business. Anyone can mow lawns and make say around $25,000 a year but to get into higher income bracket takes lots of hard work and good business sense and dedication to the profession and the equipment to get there along with dependable employees.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Depending upon your skill set, the answer is yes.
    I know because I have been a golf course superintendent, a golf course construction superintendent and now own and operate my own business.
    One has to absolutely have a frame of mind, a scope of business ideals, and the ambition to make it work.
    Education is necessary, not only for the knowledge necessary but to open markets at a more readily achievable rate which is not normally accessible to one training themselves as they mature in the industry

7. unearth888

unearth888 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Good news to hear. I'll be starting my 5th year at a golf course in April. I just kind of want to be on my own. Nobody to tell me what to do. I know that I have experience in the field so I feel I could do good as an LCO.

8. 4 Seasons

4 Seasons LawnSite Member

unearth888,
    Myself and my brother started our business a little over three years ago. My brother was a golf course superintendent @ a upscale club. He helped design the course and held that job for 13 years. He decided it was time for a career change and we are now into are 4th year. Over the winter he decided he wants to try real estate so I bought him out. Most of the work I do is commercial: hotels, restaurants, etc... The point being in my opinion if you work hard in the beginning you reap all the rewards in a few years. It takes a little work to grow your business but well worth it. Not boasting, just making a point that I make well over $80,000.00 in the 6 month season and that's not including snow plowing in the winter, you can easily add another $35 to $40,000.00 on to that. We bought an established business from a guy that was bringing in $212,000.00 and we scaled it back to the ones we wanted to keep and then went after the properties we would like to have. So I say it is well worth the risk!!

Just to give you an example, an average property that I do consists of:

Spring clean-up
    edge the beds and sidewalks usaully just once
    Mulch once a year
    plant a few annuals
    trim shrubs and trees as needed
    Mowing(no bagging)weekly
    Fall clean-up
    Average property price for the season $6800.00
    Get yourself twelve of them and theres your 80 grand!!!!

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what you want to do...be a lawn guy, or a businessman. It is the abilty to delegate duties to people that can perform them, that would not particularly make you that much money. For instance, there reaches a point, that carrying a string trimmer is NOT making you enough money to sustain. It is not worth you doing anything...and I mean ANYthing that you can be paying someone else to be doing for you. YOU need to be performing the ONE task for the business that no one else can do. No one of the McDonalds family is flipping burgers or taking money from customers. None of the Walton family is checking customers out at the cash register, and Donald Trump is NOT standing behind a counter checking people into one of his hotels.

10. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

If you have heart, drive, motivation, never quit attitude, and the ability to sell yourself, and your service then yes you can make the big bucks. I'm no millionaire, but I'm really pleased. In my little photo up top, you see me smiling, and 3 of my workers and 2 of my mowers. You don't get that sort of crew barely getting by. I'm not trying to brag, just show you it is possible. Just never ever give up. By the way if you have all the qualities listed in the first sentence, then there is nothing you can't do.

Good Luck