Can a high powered street blower compete

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Jul 24, 2006.

1. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

with a street sweep truck for parking lot cleanup if you pull the blower fast behind a mower? of course you would have to go back and pick the trash up once you funnel it where you want it. I am looking at a job with a big square parking lot with long thin islands. THANKS!

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

depends on your wind conditions. If it's breezy, it can work to your advantage OR disadvantage. Also, you are carrying alot more debris with a blower than you are with a truck. k doesn't get every bottle cap and cigarette butt. I came up with the idea awhile back of making a carrier that would mount to the fron of the truck and utilize the plow hoist. A blower would sit right in it - kind of like the blower buggy by JRCO, but it wouldn't touch the ground. The plow hoist would lower it down close to the ground. The blower would ride closer to the drivers side, so the front would be even with the side of the truck. This way, you could blow the gutter out first. Just every once in awhile you would slightly steer to the right a little to widen the row. This would be sort of like plowing, but you would be moving debris, instead. Yu would then gather it into a circle by lowering the rpm's and adjust the flap. Just pull the truck around in a circle. you could get down to about a 20 ft. circle which could then be quickly swept and shoveled (with a big grain shovel) into a garbage can. Good idea?

3. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

I think it's a good idea. I am doing an area to where I want to pull or push the blower at 10 mph and blow all bebris onto center strip lslands where I then pick trask up with a billy goat or by hand. There are about 10 of these islands and the parking lot is 1200 ft by 800 ft with long rows and center strips of grass and curbs around the center strips of grass.

They are taking bids on the parking lot sweaping and I am going to throw a bid in along with the lawn service bid and try and kill 2 birds with one stone but can a street blower hooked to a mower be competitive with a sweap truck? I have no idea!

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think either with the truck or the blower, you have to move pretty slow or it doesn't do a good job. So I think hooking the blower to a mower is a waste first and could mark you a lazy man in the eyes of some... Unless it's a HUGE parking lot that will take all day to clear, what's wrong with pushing a blower around for a bit while you help conserve fuel?

Then again, it wouldn't cost but 15 dollars in fuel to use a Wb all day, but still...

Now you have to go slow but a strong blower (around 10hp) will easily clear 10 to 12 feet out from the chute, I would think you can do a sizeable parking lot in 1-2 hours so long it's fairly simple (i.e.: all one square, not too many islands, etc). The only problem would be on a breezy day... Can it compete? I don't know for sure, but it gets the job done, either way it's a close call but the blower is far less a waste of fuel other than on windy days.

See this picture for an illustration of how far 10-12 feet is:
    I mean look at that SWATH of clearance, yes the goat is running and that's my own acre lot, I git'r done in an hour, no mower but light leaves...
    [​IMG]

5. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

Lazy?, I call it effieciency

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I do a parking lot with my Steiner and front mounted turbine blower. The dust is unbelievable and I can only do it when the wind is blowing the right way. The neighbours complain pretty quickly and I really don't blame them. We try to do it when it a little damp to reduce the dust. I would think the first time you fire up the blower that whoever is looking after it will set you straight real quick and then you will likely lose both jobs.