Can a large wb fit in truck bed?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 22, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a dodge ram and wonder how many of u guys put your large wb in the bed if it's possible. I'd like to have one but probably can't afford another mower AND trailer too at the moment. Are they too heavy cause I don't see this much if at all. But this is my first year and I'd really like to upgrade from my 21 to make the larger lawns easier and possibly pick up a few more before the seasons 1/2 over. How much do these things weight; 36 in, 42 in, 48 in. I'm thinking 'bout a 48. I'd rather have a z but they are just outta my price range for a descent one.

2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I've put two 48" Scag walk behinds in the back of a full size Chevy p/u.

3. green-pa

Really? Do u have to get the expensive steel ramps which are like $150+ or can u just use wood made ramps which are much cheaper? And are they very hard to unload or can one man do it.

4. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

The easiest way is to find a small hill to back up to to load/unload (with the ramps). Ive had my 48" scag wb in my chevy fullsize. The wooden ramps work fine so long a they are long enough... The steeper it is the harder it is. Make sure you have some way of strapping/securing the ramps while loading/unloading. I learned the hard way after dropping it once. and TAKE IT SLOW. Other than that its reall not that bad...however I feel spoiled now using a trailer.

5. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

check the paper, you should be able to find a reasonably priced trailer in there. I bought a 5x8 steel frame trailer with ramp for under $100, of course that was a steal but if you cant afford that just make sure you have long, secure ramps because you definatly wont be able to lift the mower in, other than that it should fit just fine.

Thanks,
    Andy Meadows

6. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

Hmm...obviously putting a wb in the back of truck is doable, but talk about dangerous. When I started I drove my riding mower up wooden ramps into the back of my full size bed, but I've fallen off many times. Yes, finding a ditch or hill to cut the angle down is alot easier, but what if that isn't an option. Try to find a used small trailer, it is SOOO much easier and a LOT safe both for you and the equipment.

Even a brand new 4x8 trailer with drop down gate should be less than a 1000 bucks. Look around and find one it will be worth it! If not, just be really careful! Good luck.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The weight is a non-issue, a wb is around 500 pounds or so, you wont even notice it's in the back of the truck.

The wooden ramps are not bad at all for a wb...loading is no problem. Unloading, just stand on the ends of the ramps to keep them secure, and REMAIN standing on them until the rear wheels of the mower are fully on the ramp and starting to descend. The 'danger zone' so to speak is the moment when the wheels first touch the ramp...if you don't keep the ramp from moving then you could have problems. I never secured the ramps other than standing on them. Unloaded thousands of times, in all sorts of weather. Probably could do it blindfolded :laugh:

8. green-pa

Thanks guys! Of course I'd rather have a trailer but every issue of the trader I've purchased only has regular priced trailers. I really only need a small 4x6 I think but they are about $550-600 new. I wish I could find a used one for like $300-350. Anyone have one in IN?

9. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what he said....

10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I have steel ramps but I seen a guy with a lawn tractor with bag attachment in the back of his truck. His back gate was open and he had two long wooden ramps sticking out. 2x10's I believe. If you use wood definetly buy those steel things that go on the end otherwise its very dangerous.