can a lawn be to thick?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, Jun 5, 2006.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I have been doing work for a customer who has a beautiful lawn. It is a nice green plush thick lawn. Here in the Northeast we have seen some high amounts of rain the past few weeks. This customer has been experiencing some pooling in his front yard. Due mostly to the thickness of the grass. The water not absorbing into the soil. Last week I aerated the entire property to try and open up the ground. It is still pooling after the past week of rain. The base of the grass seems to be rotting. Not from a disease but from the water. What can I do now to alleviate this issue before the grass all rots away. I was thinking about dethatching to open up the ground, but I am not sure:hammerhead:

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

seems more like a drainage issue to me. dethatching it would thin the grass a bit, but if we suddenly have a hot week the grass may become damaged by the heat.:rolleyes: just my 2 cents

3. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

i am not too concerned with the heat issue do to the fact that there is irrigation on the property. I was thinking about dethatching now and then aerating again in the fall while topdressing with sand

4. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

this is an issue that has just started happening over the last year or so..........

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

if there is water pooling try and pump it out, then re-aerate in the fall

6. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I would be comfortable saying that i do not think that the lawn is the cause of your problem , no matter how thick and plush its not going to cause a standing water issue.the problem lies beneath the lawn in the yards ability to release water either through absorption into the water table or a drainage system.keep in mind that we have gotten a heck of alot of rain lately and the water table is having a hard time moving it all.Is there some sort of drainage installed in the yard that you are aware of?is it working properly? will time and less rain remedy the situation? does the yard need a curtain drain or something similiar?

7. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I just talked to the owner of the property who seems to remember where the tank is for the septic system. it is about 18-24'' below the ground where the water issus is. Could this be the issue? water not draining as well as it should thus not allowing enough air to penetrate the base of the lawn as well as the root zone causing the water to begin rotting the grass?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like he's got an issue with a full tank. With all the rain and such, especially. If it's not leaching out into tyhe field properly, it MAY even be running backwards. The ground is so saturated with water that it water is running right into the tank. I had a house I lived in that did this. He needs to call the poo-pumpers out and clean it out.

9. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless his septic system is overflowing thus saturating the soil and when the rain comes it makes it worse.

10. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

no wonder the grass is so thick!!