Can a solo operation make a good salary

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siklid1066, Sep 11, 2007.

1. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

If one were to work solo can you make a living at this.My payroll sometimes kills me along with being a baby sitter towards workers.
  2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

absolutly. I make a great living at this......... Alot of work but worth it. Beats working at the mill.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dare say the owner of a very large company should, by very definition, earn more.
    Even two guys might do better than a solo.
    It all depends thou, what you're into and what suits you, don't let money be your only guide here.

(straps on teh hip boots)
  4. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Yeah a solo operator can cut 80 lawns a week which works out to about 16 a day with the right equipment. 80x35=$2800 a week x 30 weeks = $84,000. Then do aeration,seed, and fert for the fall by upselling half your customers at $250 a lawn will = another $10,000. Then some more misc work and you are over $100k Gross with very little over head. Now it may take some heavy advertising to get you to 80 lawns a week but it can be done in less then 2 seasons.
  5. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Can you make money solo ? not if you break a leg, get sick or have an accident, i am solo but its a bit of a gamble when you think about it, mind you theres no stress or very little, as long as you dont take on more than you can handle.
  6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it all depends on what you consider a good living or good money. The most money I have ever made working for a company was $21 per hour. On my worst lawn I make way more than that. I don't know what the average yearly wage around the USA is but here in Oklahoma I believe it is around 27-30k. A sol can do 10 lawns a day at $30, add in a few extras here and there and you are easily into the 40-45k are for working half the year. I realize this is gross not net but so is the 27-30k average yearly salary.
  7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said....
  8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah but the 27-30k salary doesn't pay for the companies, office, insurance, gas,equipment, or damage to customers property.
  9. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I find this pretty hard to believe. Even with the right equipment, you would be pushing 10 or 12 hour days after you throw in driving to all the different locations. That would leave you very little time for any misc work, and I doubt hardly anyone can do quality work crunching that amount of lawns into a day by themself. Poor quality work = less call backs and even fewer referrals.

In a perfect world, with every one of your lawns lined up in a row, I could see someone pulling this off. But throw in all the factors that affect the mowing business, and I say no way.
  10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

What are you saying? Don't get in the biz because you have expenses to run it? You also get the opportunity to write off a lot of these expenses. When working for a company, you also have gas and car expenses that you can't write off. A solo operation most of the time should be very simple, with low expenses. Mine is, maybe I am in the minority here.